These Peppermint Chocolate Chip Sugar Cookies are delicious sugar cookies but without all the work! Easy dough (no-rolling required) and a quick mint glaze on top!
My oldest is a crazy fiend for sugar cookies, while my 9-year old is all about anything with chocolate chips, particularly chocolate chip cookies. My younger two will just about eat any cookie, regardless.
This recipe is a favorite because everyone loves it! You get more of a sugar cookie texture and flavor but with some mini chocolate chips thrown in. Plus everything tastes better with peppermint, right?!
With this recipe, you're getting the flavor of a sugar cookie but without all that effort. The dough is quick and easy to make and you just roll it into balls then throw it in the oven. Make a quick glaze to spread on the tops, sprinkle with crushed peppermints and you're good to go!
My youngest above, stole this cookie while I was photographing it, little cookie monster! ;) I hope you enjoy them as much as my family does!
Peppermint Chocolate Chip Sugar Cookies with Mint Glaze
Recipe adapted from Everyday Food Magazine
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. fine salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp. heavy cream or milk
- candy canes, crushed for topping
- Preheat oven to 350º. Make sure racks are placed in upper and lower thirds of the oven.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter, granulated sugar and 1/4 tsp. peppermint extract on medium-high until fluffy (about 3 minutes). Beat in egg, then flour mixture on low. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Roll dough into 1-1/2 inch balls and place 2 inches apart on parchment lined baking sheets. Bake until lightly golden, about 12 minutes. Rotate sheets around about halfway through cooking. Let cool on sheets for 5 minutes and then transfer cookies to wire cooling racks to let cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, 1/4 tsp. peppermint extract and cream or milk to make the glaze. (If too thin, add more powdered sugar to get the consistency you want). Spread a thin layer of glaze on top of each cookie and sprinkle with candy cane crumbs. Let dry completely on racks and then devour. Enjoy!