Ever been to Cafe Rio? Try this copycat version of the Pork Barbacoa! It’s sweet & tangy pulled pork cooked in the crock pot, shredded and used for tacos, burritos, salads, etc.
You guys. I am obsessed with Cafe Rio’s sweet pork barbacoa. It’s basically the best thing ever.
If you haven’t been there before, it’s a pretty casual little mexican food place. You walk through a cafeteria style line and watch them make your food and then pay. Their menu isn’t very large but their most popular meat is the pork barbacoa. You can get any of their meats on any of their dinner items but I always get the sweet pork barbacoa on the salad. To-die-for.
Now folks, if you’re like myself and love Cafe Rio, stay tuned!! I have a few more goodies up my sleeve!
Even if you’ve never heard of the place, you have to give this pork a try. The sauce is tangy, sweet and a little spicy. The pork is so tender and flavorful. Such a great flavor combo and is the best on tacos, or salads, in burritos or enchiladas. You won’t regret giving it a try!
- 1 (3-lb) pork loin roast
- 21 oz. Dr. Pepper
- 1 (10-oz) can green enchilada sauce
- 1 (10-oz) can red enchilada sauce
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 (7-oz) can chipotle chilies in adobo sauce
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- Place pork roast and Dr. Pepper in slow cooker on high for 6 hours.
- At 6 hours, add the rest of the ingredients and continue cooking for another 3 hours.
- Before serving, remove chipotle chilies, shred the pork and then pour as much liquid as you like over the pork. Delicious in tacos, burritos, salads, etc. Enjoy!