Skinny Lime Poke Cake recipe made using a white cake mix, two egg whites and diet lemon-lime soda. Then it’s poked and poured over with sugar-free lime Jell-o and spread with a creamy pudding topping!For the past several months, I’ve been getting up at 5:45am so I can get some work done in peace and quiet. It’s just about the only time I’m ALONE.
Nobody needing help, asking me questions, wanting their sippy cup filled, or whatever. It’s just me and my computer and getting stuff DONE. I’m quiet as a mouse to ensure everyone stays fast asleep.
Ahem. Fast forward to a few months later. I get up at 5:45am ready to get my work done and five minutes later, two certain little boys come walking in my room.
The first time it happened, I thought it was a fluke and let them hang out. But now it’s been happening every morning! Kids have a sixth sense for when us parents have something planned of our own!
Thank goodness for cartoons and Plants vs. Zombies for them.
Thank goodness for caffeine and poke cake for me! Somehow a few little nibbles of this poke cake magically boosts my patience. Weird how desserts will do that. 😉 Even better when that dessert is low-fat and still tastes delicious!
I shared this same recipe last year using cherry jello instead of lime and I had some fun St. Patrick’s Day inspiration to change this up a bit and make it green. I love using diet soda, egg whites and a cake mix to make a low-fat cake. Have you ever done that before?
My little boys helped me poke the cake and helped with the frosting too. See how much patience a yummy dessert gives me? 😉
- 1 box white cake mix
- 10 oz diet lemon-lime soda - I used Sprite Zero
- 2 egg whites
- 1 (.3-oz) sugar-free lime Jell-o
- 1 cup boiling water
- ½ cup cold water
- 1 (1-oz) sugar-free instant vanilla pudding
- 1-1/2 cups cold fat-free milk
- Lite Cool Whip, to taste (I used about half a container)
- Preheat oven according to box directions. Spray 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
- Beat cake mix, diet soda and egg whites in a large bowl for 2 minutes. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Decrease cooking time by 5 minutes from what the box says. A toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake will come out clean when it is finished.
- Pull cake out from oven and let cool for 15 minutes. Using a large fork, ice pick or toothpick poke large holes into cake about every ½ inch of the cake. (Don't worry about how it looks , we'll be covering it up with frosting!)
- Mix together Jell-o and boiling water and stir for 2 minutes or until dissolved. Add in cold water. Pour over poked cake. Refrigerate until cooled completely.
- Combine pudding and 1-1/2 cups cold milk. Beat together until thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Fold in desired amount of Cool Whip (I used about half a container). When it's the consistency and taste desired, spread over cooled cake. Slice up, serve and enjoy! Make sure to keep cake chilled in refrigerator!
Want more SKINNY?