Oatmeal Coffee Cake – delicious breakfast cake made using oatmeal for the moistest cake you’ll ever eat! Great for not only breakfast, but dessert too! So apparently I’m on an oatmeal kick? I shared Strawberry Oatmeal Bars last week and Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins before that and now Oatmeal Coffee Cake! I love me some oatmeal.
Before we got our Vitamix blender, I would eat oatmeal every morning for breakfast. Maybe when I’m sick of green smoothies, I’ll head back to oatmeal every morning again.
My boys are cereal lovers. I honestly can’t believe how many boxes I go through with four boys. My older two can put down a box in two mornings. My two little guys love cereal too.
I’m sort of bad about making a huge breakfast on school days, so cereal is the best option for me. But on the weekends, I love cooking up something fun and my boys look forward to it.
This coffee cake was an afterthought and I was super excited when it came together and tasted amazing! I had some leftover oatmeal and decided to make something with it instead of throwing it out.
I’ve mentioned before that I LOVE coffee cake. My mom used to make it all the time while I was growing up. It’s like eating dessert for breakfast! Nothing better than a slice of fresh-from-the-oven coffee cake with a glass of cold milk. It gives cookies a run for their money!
The best part about this coffee cake is how moist it is. The oatmeal really makes this cake soft and flavorful. Plus it has this delicious little nut topping that gives it a nice crunch. You can taste the oatmeal throughout the cake, too. I used Truvia instead of sugar and used half white whole wheat flour to give it more nutritional value. If you like oatmeal and coffee cake, this is the perfect blend for you!
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup Truvia sweetener (or 1 cup brown sugar)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup cooked oatmeal
- ¾ cup white whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour*
- ½ tsp. cloves
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Spray an 8x8" pan with cooking spray.
- Stir together the coconut oil, eggs, Truvia, vanilla and cooked oatmeal.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, cloves, salt, cinnamon and baking soda. Combine dry ingredients with wet ingredients and stir until combined. Pour into prepared pan.
- Mix 1 Tbsp. coconut oil, pecans and brown sugar in a small bowl and sprinkle over the top of cake. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Cut into squares and serve. Enjoy!