Chicken asparagus pasta in a creamy sauce and all cooked in one pan in 30 minutes. It’s so simple and so easy plus the clean up is a breeze. It’s perfect for spring and your busy schedule!
Yesterday was the first official day of spring! I honestly can’t believe it. Time goes by quicker and quicker the older I get. My oldest son is almost as tall as my husband and it seems like just yesterday that he was a little guy that I was strapping in his car seat.
Around here, it’s starting to feel more like spring. It’s greener, warmer and the days are a bit longer (thanks to daylight savings, lol!). It’s also full blown baseball season, which means of course it’s spring! We’ve been so busy with baseball and other extracurricular activities lately that I’ve been going a little crazy.
I sat down yesterday and added all the games/practices/lessons, etc into my phone calendar and every single day is full to the max! I can’t even believe how busy this time of year is for all of us. This really makes getting dinner on the table at night a challenge. Sometimes I feel so exhausted that I just want to swing through the drive-thru and grab dinner. But that can really add up, in both money and calories.
So today I’m sharing a recipe with you that my family loves! I’ve made it so many times but have never taken pictures of it and shared it on here for some reason.
It’s a staple dinner in our house because what’s not to love? Chicken asparagus pasta in a creamy sauce and all cooked in one pan. It’s so simple and so easy plus the clean up is a breeze!
I’ve made this with broccoli too and it’s delicious. It’s also lower calorie and I like to use a more carb-friendly pasta, such as Dreamfield’s or a whole wheat pasta works too, to make it even healthier.
Your family will love this chicken asparagus pasta! It’s perfect for springtime and your busy schedule!
- 1½ lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp. oregano
- 1 box (13.25-oz) penne pasta (I like Dreamfield's)
- 3 cups water
- 3½ cups chicken broth
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch chunks
- ¾ cup fat-free evaporated milk
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the chicken in a single layer and cook for one minute without stirring.
- Stir the chicken and continue to cook until it's browned. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add onion into the pot and cook on medium-high heat and cook until softened. Stir in the garlic and oregano.
- Add the uncooked pasta, water and 2½ cups of the broth. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until the liquid is thick, stirring occasionally.
- Add the asparagus and remaining 1 cup broth. Cover, reduce the heat to medium and cook until the asparagus is almost tender.
- Uncover and return the heat to medium-high. Stir in the evaporated milk, parmesan cheese and chicken (with juices).
- Simmer uncovered until the sauce is thickened and chicken is cooked/heated through. Season with salt and pepper if needed. Serve and enjoy!
Looking for more one-pot dinner ideas? Try these: