I’ve really been trying hard to eat better the last week or so. I was finding that I would randomly snack on my kids’ treats (aka Goldfish) during the day. Then my dinners would be full of carbs. So I made the attempt to eat more fruits, vegetables and protein.
I’ve said before that I’m not a salad lover. I just don’t usually enjoy a giant plate of lettuce. However, fruit is a whole other story. I LOVE fruit salads!
Have you ever had a Waldorf Salad before? It’s an interesting combo of sweet and savory.
It has fruit, celery and walnuts mixed in with a mayonnaise based dressing, which makes it a tad bit salty. Oh my word. I adore it. There’s something about that combo that just makes me crave it.
I lightened the traditional recipe up a bit by adding non-fat yogurt in place of the mayo and also added strawberries because, why not?! They add a great softer texture to the crunchy apples and celery.
My husband and I loved this healthy side dish! It’s a great addition to any meal!
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 2 large apples, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- ½ cup strawberries, sliced
- ¼ of an orange, juiced
- ½ cup non-fat yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. light mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. fresh basil, minced
- 1 tsp. honey or agave
- ¼ of an orange, zested
- ground black pepper, to taste
- red or butter leaf lettuce
- Add walnuts to a small saucepan and heat on medium, stirring frequently. When walnuts began to get a little more golden brown and smell good, take off heat and set aside to cool. Be careful not to burn them!
- Mix chopped apple with celery, strawberries and orange juice in a medium sized bowl. Slightly chop the walnuts and add to mixture.
- In a small bowl, mix together yogurt, mayo, basil, honey, orange zest and ground pepper. Stir to combine.
- Pour yogurt mixture over fruit mixture and toss to coat the fruit. When ready to serve, place large scoop of salad on top of a leaf of lettuce. Enjoy!