An incredible Sausage Lentil Chili full of veggies, beans, sausage, lentils and TONS of flavor! (Thanks to Johnsonville Sausage for sponsoring this post!)
Do you ever get in a dinner rut and make the same things over and over? I have a handful of dishes that are my go-to’s that I make frequently. This sausage lentil chili is one of them now! I’ve literally made this chili five times in the last few weeks. Seriously, it’s that good! Every time I made it, I changed the recipe around a little bit. It’s so easy to make and is customizable to what your family likes.
One thing that really makes this lentil chili easy, is using ground sausage instead of sausage in the casings. I buy Johnsonville Ground Italian Sausage because I love the flavor of the meat and the spices they add to it. It’s so convenient to be able to grab a package of ground sausage and cook it just like any other ground meat but have that extra flavor added.
For this chili, I used the Johnsonville’s Hot Ground Sausage to add a little extra kick. You can use mild instead if you prefer. I’ve made this with and without the veggies and beans and I think I like it better with. It just adds to the protein and fiber that’s in this dish, which is always a good thing!
As far as lentils go, I found that not all lentils are created equally. The cooking time really depends on the thickness of the lentil. I tried an organic red lentil and found that it cooked quicker than a bag of regular red lentils, mostly because the size of the organic ones were smaller. Just keep that in mind while you’re waiting for the lentils to become tender.
This easy dinner recipe is a keeper! I love all the textures in this sausage lentil chili. It has a nice heat to it from the Johnsonville sausage and chili powder and the tender veggies, beans and lentils really make this chili something special. It’s perfect to warm you up on a cold fall or winter night. I hope this gets added into your dinner rotation! I know it has a spot in mine. 🙂
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 (16-oz) package Johnsonville Hot Italian Sausage (can also use mild if preferred)
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 (14.5-oz) can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (16-oz) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 (14-oz) cans chicken broth, plus more if needed*
- 2 cups red lentils, rinsed
- Brown sausage in a large cast iron pot (or other large stock pot) on medium heat. Break up sausage into small pieces using a spatula.
- Add onion and cook until soft. Add garlic and stir for a minute. Stir in celery and carrots. Add cumin, chili powder and salt & pepper.
- Pour in tomatoes and chicken broth. Add beans and bring to a boil on high. Turn to low and cover. Simmer for about 10 minutes, until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add in lentils. Bring to a boil. Turn to medium-low and cover until lentils are cooked and veggies are tender.
- Serve in bowls with a sprinkle of parmesan on top if desired. Enjoy!
If you liked these sausage recipes, you might like these too:
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Johnsonville Italian Sausage. The opinions and text are all mine.