It’s fall ya’ll! (I’ve always wanted to say that, ha!) Check out this Caramel Apple Pudding Cake. It’s a delicious dessert that uses layered Granny Smith apples with cinnamon and nutmeg sprinkled over the top, then a cake mixture spread over and a caramel sauce poured over the top. Bake and serve with low-fat ice cream. It is so good. A yummy fall dessert your family will love!
Happy Friday!! I feel like this week has flown by. Actually I feel like this month has flown by. I can’t believe it’s almost September! Have your kids started school yet? We only have a couple days left until the big day. The countdown is on…
I’m not going to lie, I’m not a huge apple fan. I’m not one to just pick up an apple and eat it. My favorite is a little bit of apple with a lot of peanut butter. Or a little bit of apple with a lot of cake. Sort of like this cake. That title just draws you in, right? Caramel Apple Pudding Cake. It just sounds good. Well, it is!
I had some leftover caramel from this recipe and some apples that needed to be used up so I decided to make this dessert. My family loved it!
Caramel Apple Pudding Cake
- 2 cups thinly sliced & peeled Granny Smith apples
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter melted
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts optional
- 3/4 cup caramel ice cream topping store bought or homemade
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- whipped cream or low-fat ice cream/frozen yogurt for serving
- Preheat oven to 350º. Spray a 2-quart baking dish or a 8x8 baking pan with cooking spray. Arrange Granny Smith apple slices in bottom of dish. Sprinkle with lemon juice, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add milk, the melted butter and vanilla and mix well. Stir in nuts. Spread the batter evenly over the apples.
- In a small saucepan, combine the caramel topping, water and 1 Tbsp. butter and bring to a boil. Pour mixture over batter in baking dish.
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until center is set. While warm, scoop cake, apples and caramel mixture into bowls and serve with whipped cream or ice cream. Enjoy!
Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. 100 times over YES. Can’t wait to make this. 🙂
Chelsia Rief says
I could eat five bowls of that!
Jamie @ Love Bakes Good Cakes says
Sounds perfect to me 🙂
Just Some Salt and Pepper says
This looks so, so good. I’m so excited for all the fall desserts coming up!
Shannon Hawk says
Yum! This looks really good! I can’t wait for fall:) My family will love this!
Katie @ Made to be a Momma says
This looks delicious! Just found your blog and I am soo excited! New follower on facebook! I would LOVE to have you share this and anything else at my link party that’s going on! http://www.madetobeamomma.com/2013/08/homemade-by-you-65.html By the way, you are beautiful!
Erin- Table for 7 says
I can’t wait until fall either! We are going apple picking in a few weeks and I’m more excited than the kids 🙂 This cake looks delicious Jen…can’t wait to try it after my apple picking! Thanks for sharing at Share your Stuff Tuesdays!!
Amber @ DessertNowDinnerLater! says
Um, wow! That looks incredible! I love apple season! Thanks for sharing at Sweet & Savory Saturdays #27!
~Amber @ DessertNowDinnerLater.com
Ruby Mole says
That looks really scrummy. I love the combination of apples and caramel or toffee even. There’s also something quite magical about serving hot desserts with vanilla ice-cream.
Amy R says
This looks really delicious! Newest follower from the Pin Junkie Friday link party! I would love it if you would stop by and share your recipe at my link party:
Heather @FrenchPress says
this looks absolutely delicious! thank you so much for linking to wake up wednesdaya
Desserts with apples are fun to make and fun to eat. I like the idea of adding a layer of caramel to your recipe.
WOW Jen! This is amazing. I need to get on the apple train. Thanks for the inspiration!
Lauren Smisko says
I love a good cooked fruit dessert. Adding in the caramel layer is genius!
Lauren @ imperfectandfabulous.blogspot.com
alicia k says
just made this. AMAZING!!!
YAY!!! It is so good! Glad you liked it!