Craving a twice baked potato but don’t want all the calories? Make some Healthy Twice Baked Potatoes! With few ingredients and double the flavor, you will LOVE these!
Three out of four of my boys started school yesterday!! I’m half thrilled and half sad. My older two are at the same school, which is really nice and then my 5 year old started kindergarten. (big sad tears!) I have to admit that I cried after I dropped him off. He kept looking back at me and I was waving to him, trying to hold back the tears.
The night before was a rough one for me. I had a hard time falling asleep and all I could think about was my new kindergartener. Did I teach him enough? Will he make friends? Will he be able to open those little packages of crackers I left in his lunch? Who’s going to wipe his tears and give him a band-aid and a hug when he scrapes his knees? I know, totally crazy right?
So as I was laying there, silently crying thinking about my sweet little man going off to school the next day, my little 4 year old comes in and says “Mom, can I sleep with you? I’m scared.” Well, blessed be! It was like an answer to prayer. Of course I let him snuggle next to me all night and I loved every second of it! (except when he was kicking me a few hours later, lol!) I’m so lucky to have these kids and I thank my lucky stars they’re mine.
Okay, enough sappy back to school talk, let’s talk potatoes.
Do any of you remember Denise Austin aka fitness guru?? SO random but when I think of potatoes, I think of this funny commercial she did about how low in calories & fat potatoes were and what a great meal it can make.
Confession: Denise Austin was my jam when I was getting back into pre-baby shape after my first two babies. I. LOVED. HER. I owned 25 of her video cassettes (OMG this totally ages me!) and I did them religiously. So yeah, she was like my fitness idol. 😉
So when I saw that commercial I was like “Heck yeah! Potatoes every day all day!” But, ahem… my favorite kind of potatoes are like bathed in butter, sour cream, chives, cheese and more cheese. So probably not the world’s best meal to be eating.
But I’m not giving up on you Denise! I made some healthy twice baked potatoes that would have you dancing your way to the kitchen. For reals!
They even have cottage cheese in them, which you can’t even taste. Seriously these are a WINNER. The recipe makes 8 halves and my husband, two older boys and myself knocked them out in one sitting. If you like twice baked potatoes but want to keep it healthy, you’ve got to try these healthy twice baked potatoes!
Healthy Twice Baked Potatoes
- 4 russet potatoes
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 5.3 oz container fat free plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup fat free milk or more as needed
- 1/4 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 2/3 cup shredded cheese divided
- 3 green onions chopped
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Wash potatoes and prick with a fork all over. Bake for about an hour, until fork goes in easily. Let sit to cool.
- Reduce heat on oven to 350ºF.
- When cool enough to handle, halve each potato and scoop out insides into a mixing bowl.
- Add in the salt, pepper, Greek yogurt, milk and cottage cheese to the potato and mix using a hand mixer. Add more milk if potato mixture seems dry.
- Stir in 1/3 cup cheese and green onions. Fill empty potato shells evenly with potato mixture. I like to use a cookie scoop to make it look pretty!
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until mixture is warmed all the way through. (If you let potatoes cool to room temperature before scooping out the insides, this might take a bit longer).
- Top with remaining 1/3 cup cheese and bake for 5 more minutes, or until cheese melts. Serve and enjoy!