Quinoa Black Bean Burgers – meatless patties full of black beans, quinoa and spices. You won’t believe these are vegetarian! The flavor is so delicious!
We’re back to hot weather this week in California. Sigh. Obviously it’s not hot as Arizona or Nevada or anything (I’d die) but for here, it gets to be pretty warm with very little breeze.
I’m too cheap to turn on the air conditioning (hello, single pane windows that let the air right out!) so I’m sitting here directly in front of one of those giant fans writing to you about these amazing Quinoa Black Bean Burgers, lol! 😉
I’m definitely a year-round burger kind of person. Just because summer is winding done doesn’t mean you can’t have a burger for dinner, right?! With Labor Day coming up, it’s a good excuse to get your burger game on.
Have you ever made a meatless burger before? I was a little skeptical but several weeks ago made some for the first time. In full disclosure, I was fully expecting them to suck. 😉
But guess what? They were delicious! I would go beyond delicious and say they were amazing! I was instantly intrigued because not only were they delicious but you didn’t even miss the meat. Not even kidding.
That was so surprising to me because I love a good, juicy, meaty burger. So to eat a burger without meat seemed foreign to me. But I’ve made these a few times since that first time and I love them every time I make them. The shocker is that my boys love them too! It’s fun to try something different and introduce more meatless meals into my family’s diet. I hope you’ll give the meatless version a try. I’m pretty positive that you’ll love them as much as we do!
Quinoa Black Bean Burgers
- 1/4 cup quinoa rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 15-oz can black beans, rinsed, drained and mashed
- 1/2 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1 large garlic glove minced
- 2-3 Tbsp. green onions diced
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 2 Tbsp. cilantro finely diced
- Bring the quinoa and water to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until quinoa is cooked and water is absorbed, about 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, roughly mash black beans in a mixing bowl. Add in breadcrumbs, garlic, green onions, cumin, salt, pepper, chili powder and cilantro and taste. Add extra seasonings if necessary.
- Add in egg and cooked and cooled quinoa. Using your hands, form into 4 or 5 patties.
- Spray griddle or saute pan with cooking spray or a little olive oil. Cook patties until heated through, flipping halfway through.
- Serve on buns and enjoy!