Ready for a life changing guiltless dessert? This delicious Skinny Cherry Poke Cake recipe is made with a boxed cake mix, two egg whites and (surprise!) diet lemon-lime soda! Poke some holes in the top of the cooked cake and pour sugar-free cherry Jell-o mixture on top. Cool and then spread with a low-fat pudding & Cool Whip topping. It’s decadent, moist, flavorful & delicious but low fat too! Hands down, the best diet dessert ever!
I have been so lazy this week. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a busy mom taking care of kids all day. But I’ve been totally slacking on my fitness progress. Sigh. I blame it on summer break.
While I love summer break, I always feel like I gain a couple pounds. Weird, right? Most people are kicking it into high gear to get in shape for bathing suit season and I’m over here eating carbs with my kids, ha!
Once school starts (less than 2 weeks!) and I get a schedule again then I usually force my booty back into the gym. Until then, I’m having lots of fun hanging out with my boys playing Plants vs. Zombies (OMG I’m addicted to that game! Have you played it??)
Okay, let me introduce you to your new favorite guiltless pleasure cake…
Oh and it has Jell-o. What’s up with me and Jell-o lately?! Did you see these Layered Jell-o Cups I made last week? (SO good by the way…)
Anyway, back to the cake. I shared this same cake recipe but in chocolate form a while ago, using Diet Coke. Using that same Low-Fat Diet Coke Cake recipe, I swapped out the chocolate cake mix for vanilla cake mix and the Diet Coke for Sprite Zero. Boom. 🙂
I poked big holes into my cake and then I made some cherry Jell-o and poured it over the top. After cooling it down in the refrigerator, I made a pudding and Cool Whip frosting and spread it all over.
Oh. My. Heck. It’s seriously so amazing. I can’t even get over how moist it is. It tastes like a restaurant dessert. If you made it for guests, they would NEVER in a million years guess that it’s low fat. Honest to goodness. Guys, please try this. It’s a winner!
- 1 box white cake mix
- 10 oz (of a 12 oz can) of diet lemon-lime soda - I used Sprite Zero
- 2 egg whites
- 1 (.3-oz) sugar-free cherry Jell-o
- 1 cup boiling water
- ½ cup cold water
- 1 (1-oz) sugar-free instant vanilla pudding
- 1-1/2 cups cold fat-free milk
- Lite Cool Whip, to taste (I used about half a container)
- Preheat oven according to box directions. Spray 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
- Beat cake mix, diet soda and egg whites in a large bowl for 2 minutes. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Decrease cooking time by 5 minutes from what the box says. A toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake will come out clean when it is finished.
- Pull cake out from oven and let cool for 15 minutes. Using a large fork, ice pick or toothpick poke large holes into cake about every ½ inch of the cake. (Don't worry about how it looks , we'll be covering it up with frosting!)
- Mix together Jell-o and boiling water and stir for 2 minutes or until dissolved. Add in cold water. Pour over poked cake. Refrigerate until cooled completely.
- Combine pudding and 1-1/2 cups cold milk. Beat together until thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Fold in desired amount of Cool Whip (I used about half a container). When it's the consistency and taste desired, spread over cooled cake. Slice up, serve and enjoy! Make sure to keep cake chilled in refrigerator!