About a month ago, I actually talked my husband into going to Costco with me. For some reason having him grocery shop with me makes me happy and less stressed about the process. It’s also nice to have the help with my kids.
Anyway, Costco seems to have an ongoing demo for the Vitamix blender. He was sucked into this demo for a good 20 minutes. He had been wanting a juicer for months before that and even looked into juicing companies that will drop off juices for the week at your front door but they were always so expensive.
Needless to say, he was intrigued by the Vitamix capabilities. I was instantly wary because of the price – $500!! We are not ones to spend cash like that on things. I was worried about the clean-up of the blender, too (nothing worse that making a smoothie and having to wash out the blender – ugh).
But after watching the demonstrations, I was sold. It’s amazingly easy to clean and the possibilities are endless with what you can make with it. You can make smoothies, juice, soup, ice cream, basically anything. We bought it!!
Fast forward to our trip this weekend to Big Bear. Guess what we brought with us?? Our Vitamix!!!! It’s like our baby. 😉 We don’t go anywhere without it, ha! We made smoothies everyday while we were on vacation.
My husband makes us both a green smoothie for breakfast everyday. We usually add one celery stick, a huge handful of carrots, 2 handfuls of spinach, 1 orange, 1 apple (skin on), half a banana, some raw almonds, protein powder and water. Delicious and so healthy!
But you know what else it’s good for? Making soup! I had bought a butternut squash and it was so lonely sitting on our counter so I decided to make it into soup.
I cooked the squash in the microwave with a little water. Meanwhile, I softened an onion in a saucepan and added in some spices and red curry paste. Then added some broth, light coconut milk and scooped out the flesh of the squash. Added it all into the blender -I used my Vitamix, but if you don’t have one (you should totally get one!) you can use a normal bender.
Blend it up and the outcome is this gorgeous orange soup with SO MUCH FLAVOR. Every one of my family members liked it, even my boys! It’s healthy, easy, gluten free, vegetarian and absolutely delicious.
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2½ tsp. red curry paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger, minced
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tsp. light brown sugar
- 1 (14-oz) can light coconut milk
- ¼ tsp. salt
- chopped peanuts, for serving
- chopped cilantro, for serving
- limes, for serving
- Cut your butternut squash in half and place on a microwave plate, cut side down. Add a couple tablespoons of water to the plate and place in the microwave. Cook for 5 minute increments, until squash is tender (about 10-15 minutes).
- Meanwhile, add oil to a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 3 minutes. Add red curry paste, garlic and ginger. Stir constantly for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth, brown sugar, coconut milk and salt. Bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- When butternut squash is tender, remove from microwave and using a spoon, scoop out the flesh of the squash halves and place in blender. I used my Vitamix (add only half at a time if your blender is smaller).
- Pour mixture from saucepan into the blender with squash. Remove center piece of blender lid to help steam escape and place a paper towel over it just in case soup splatters. Blend until smooth.
- Serve in bowls with with chopped cilantro, peanuts on top and lime on the side. Enjoy!
Looking for more soups? Check these out: