Make your favorite Thai take-out at home with this Thai Coconut Soup. A crazy delicious coconut broth with shrimp, mushrooms and rice – it’s comfort food at its finest!
I’m stoked about today’s recipe and this post! Why? Because I teamed up with some pretty amazing bloggers to bring you 10 awesome dinner ideas you will love!
My friend Kristin at Yellow Bliss Road put a food challenge together, sort of like one of my favorite cooking shows, Chopped. Have you ever seen that? Basically, there’s a basket with some crazy Mystery Ingredients and the contestants have to use the ingredients to make a delicious meal.
Here were our mystery ingredients…
But luckily for us bloggers, we only had to use three of the ingredients and we had a couple weeks to fine tune our recipes, unlike the show which only gives you 30 minutes or something crazy like that!
Anyway, I have a huge spot in my heart for Thai food. I’ve mentioned before how much my hubby and I love it. In fact, we found a new Thai place across the street from our new house and it is SO GOOD. We get take out from there just about every Friday night. Usually yellow chicken curry and they have these summer rolls that are to die for. They also have some amazing soups.
Which brings me to my dish I made for the Mystery Basket Challenge – Thai Coconut Soup.
This Thai Coconut Soup is made with simple ingredients, nothing too crazy. The lemongrass is probably the craziest ingredient, I found it in the Asian produce section of my grocery store. The red curry paste is down the aisle with the Asian ingredients. It comes in a little bottle and lasts a long time in the fridge.
The coconut broth is so amazing in this soup recipe. I could drink it all by itself! The mushrooms and shrimp inside the soup are tender and go perfectly with the flavor of the red curry paste. Add in some freshly cooked basmati rice, top with some cilantro and chopped peanuts and you have a winner of a dinner, all done in 30 minutes! Looks and tastes like take out but at a fraction of the cost!
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 2 tsp. red curry paste
- 2 Tbsp. minced ginger
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 stalk lemongrass, cut into large chunks
- 3 (13.5-oz) cans lite coconut milk
- 1 (8-oz) container sliced button mushrooms
- 1 lb. large shelled and deveined shrimp
- juice from ½ lime
- juice from ½ lemon
- ¼ tsp. salt
- cooked basmati rice, for serving
- cilantro, for serving if desired
- chopped peanuts, for serving if desired
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Cook the red curry paste and ginger for 1 minute.
- Stir in chicken broth and lemongrass pieces. Cook on medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Carefully take out lemongrass pieces with a slotted spoon, throw away.
- Add coconut milk and mushrooms. Cook for 5-10 minutes, until mushrooms are softened.
- Add shrimp and cook for 5 minutes, until shrimp is cooked through. Stir in lemon and lime juice and salt (taste and add more if needed).
- Place a few scoops of cooked warm rice in the bottom of a bowl and pour soup on top. Top with chopped cilantro and peanuts and serve. Enjoy!
Check out these other 9 delicious recipes my friend’s made:
Bacon Wrapped Ginger Soy Chicken from Yellow Bliss Road
Quinoa & Kale Salad with Honey Ginger Dressing from Katie’s Cucina
Skinny One Pot Lemon Shrimp Alfredo from Julie’s Eats & Treats
Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Ginger Chicken from Your Homebased Mom
Thai Shrimp Salad with Peanut Dressing from Will Cook for Smiles
Honey Baked Chicken Over Lemon Rice from The Weary Chef
Honey Baked Chicken and Potatoes from Cravings of a Lunatic
Bacon Wrapped Chicken Thighs with Honey Dijon Glaze from A Beautiful Bite
Honey Ginger Shrimp Skewers from Five Heart Home