For some reason, our baseball season starts so early here where I live. We’re already at the end of the season while many people are still in the middle. My 9 year old went to the championships and ended up losing but played pretty well. If you follow me on Instagram, you’d know that my oldest’s team won the championship game last night! Pretty exciting stuff around here!
I love having my boys play sports. I feel like playing a team sport is good for young kids in many ways. But I’m not gonna lie, it’s a lot of work as a mom! I feel like a taxi cab driver, dropping one of for practice at one park and the other at practice at another park and then dragging my two little guys around to the different parks to watch the games. Several times a week. It’s exhausting.
I think the hardest part is finding time to be able to cook a good meal. Some days, I had only like 30 minutes or less to make something up before we’d have to leave the house for the rest of the night. This Turkey Taco Skillet saved me on many nights. It’s been a staple of ours for awhile. It’s my aunt’s recipe that I adjusted to work for me. I had to share it with you!
It takes 30 minutes and uses only one pot (awesome!). Less time to prepare and less dishes to do! Most of the cooking time is just the pot sitting there with the lid closed so you can run around doing something else important. There’s no chopping or cutting up veggies. Just open a can of corn and salsa.
Seriously, it doesn’t get much easier than this. I feel like going through a drive-thru is harder work! 😉 Plus the flavor is awesome! It’s like tacos with a side of rice with your favorite taco toppings. Yum! Give this a try on those nights when you don’t want to cook, you’ll be pleasantly surprised!
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 1 pkg. taco seasoning
- 2¼ cups water
- 1 (16-oz) jar salsa (thick & chunky kind works best)
- 1 (11-oz) can corn with red & green bell peppers (Mexican corn)
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- toppings, such as shredded cheese, cilantro, green onions, sour cream, tomato and lettuce
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook and brown ground turkey, breaking meat up into small pieces.
- Stir in seasoning mix, water, salsa and corn. Bring to a boil. Stir in rice. Simmer on medium for 5 minutes. Cover with tight-fitting lid, and turn off heat (keep pot on burner). Let stand 15-20 minutes, until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Dish up into bowls and top with favorite toppings. Enjoy!