A light angel cake roll filled with a creamy lemon filling. It makes an impressive (lighter) dessert and uses NO butter or oil!
Those who have kids know that your life changes as soon as you have them. Your life revolves around them. Dare I say…life is taken over by them? Haha! 😉
Let’s just say these past few months have zipped by because I’m so busy carting boys to practices and lessons. There is something going on every. single. day. Weekends have turned into no fun at all because they’re full of games, birthday parties and more games.
This weekend, we had two baseball games at the same park (yay!) at the same time. The fields were right next to each other, with a little playground parallel to it. I couldn’t believe my luck! We were able to somehow watch both boys play in their baseball games and my two little ones play on the playground.
I ran into one of my old friends at the little playground and we were commiserating about how much more busy the weekends are than the weeks. It can get crazy. But then cool things happen, like my 10-year old hitting his first home run!! So exciting!
So today, in celebration of kids, babies especially, we are celebrating the amazing Ashton from Something Swanky and her soon-to-be little man!
She has the cutest little daughter and now will be welcoming a son. It’s such an exciting time for her! To celebrate, myself and several other bloggers are throwing her a little virtual baby shower complete with lots of yummy treats! My contribution is this yummy angel cake roll.
The best part of this cake roll is that it has NO butter or oil. Seriously. It tastes just like an angel food cake but is baked in a sheet pan and then rolled into a cake roll – hence the name angel cake roll. 😉
Then it’s filled with a creamy lemon custard-type sauce (also made with no butter or oil!). Lemon and angel cake were totally made for each other, by the way. Yep. This is a total keeper! Perfect for a spring baby shower!
So grab the recipe for my Creamy Lemon Angel Cake Roll and check out all the links below for more delicious treats. Make sure to stop by Something Swanky and tell Ashton congrats!
Creamy Lemon Angel Cake Roll
- 9 egg whites
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp. Truvia Baking Blend or 1 cup + 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup sifted all-purpose or cake flour
- 1-2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup Truvia Baking Blend or 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. grated lemon peel
- 1 cup whipped cream can whip your own heavy whipping cream or use Cool Whip
- powdered sugar for topping
- Place the egg whites in a large bowl. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, line a 15x10x1-in. baking pan with parchment paper; lightly spray paper with cooking spray and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Add vanilla and cream of tartar to egg whites. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Fold in flour, about 1/4 cup at a time. Spread batter into prepared pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool 5 minutes.
- Turn cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with powdered sugar. Gently peel off parchment paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with the short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Whisk in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thick and bubbly. Continue cooking for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Crack your egg in a small bowl and lightly beat. Stir a small amount of the hot mixture into the egg and slowly add the egg mixture to the return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil and pull off heat. Gently stir in lemon juice and peel. Let cool down for a few minutes, then fold in whipped cream a little bit at a time.
- Unroll cake carefully and spread filling to within 1/2" of edges. Roll up again. Place seam side down on a serving plate. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, slice and serve! Enjoy!
Check out the other recipes served at Ashton’s virtual shower today!
Krispy Kreme Pie by Wine and Glue
How to Make Lemon Mini Cupcakes by Call Me PMC
Brown Sugar Butterscotch Bundt Cake by Layers of Happiness
Double Chocolate Cups by Diary of a Recipe Collector
Strawberries and Cream Skillet Cobbler by Taste and Tell
Paleo Blueberry Coconut Cupcakes by Food Faith Fitness
Blueberry Coconut Protein Pops by Capturing Joy
Strawberry Pretzel Salad Dip by Crazy for Crust
Creamy Lemon Angel Cake Roll by Yummy Healthy Easy
Blueberry Granola Gratin by Buns in My Oven
Strawberry & Cream Profiteroles by Lemons for Lulu
Dirt Cake by In Katrina’s Kitchen
Mini Pineapple Upside Down Trifles by Life, Love, and Sugar
S’mores Frappuccino Cupcakes by Inside BruCrew Life
Butterfinger Cupcakes by Six Sisters’ Stuff
Brookie Bars by It Bakes Me Happy
Carrot Cake Cupcakes by Beyond Frosting
Blueberry Pie Cheeseball by Mom On Timeout
No-Bake Blueberry Cheesecake Mousse by Heather’s French Press
Blueberry Cream Cheese Cookies with a Lemon Glaze by The Recipe Critic
Lemon Berry Pastries by I Wash You Dry
Lemon Berry Fruit Kabobs by Crumbs and Chaos