I’ve been married to my main squeeze for 11 years now. Isn’t that nuts? I feel like I’m still 18!
I was just thinking today about when my husband and I were newlyweds. We had my oldest son, Justin who was only one year old at the time. We lived in this cute but tiny little apartment.
I was trying to figure out just how the whole wife thing worked and boy, did I go overboard. It was like Martha Stewart on steroids.
I remember going all out for every meal. I mean, ALL OUT. Like one night I made an entire pot roast, huge pot of mashed potatoes and tons of gravy, homemade rolls, chopped green salad, fruit salad and an ENITRE frosted chocolate cake for dessert.
I mentioned there were only two adults and a toddler, right?! And that it was on a Tuesday??
Yeah. Totally overboard.
Now, my boys are lucky to get a homemade lunch when they head off to school! I throw a lunchable at them and call it good.
Okay, not really. Truthfully I do try to get them to take a homemade sandwich but they prefer those Lunchables or Uncrustable sandwiches…but that’s another story for another day.
But I have changed. I still love to make huge meals, when the time is right. I’m just getting better at simplifying.
Like, take these bars for example. Easy. You toast up the oats, coconut and almonds. Melt some brown sugar, coconut oil, agave, vanilla and salt then mix them together. Super duper simple and wowza do they taste great.
I won’t lie that I made these THREE times before getting the measurements and baking time right. Let’s just say the first batch wasn’t a no-bake and the whole pan had to be soaked in water for hours to be able to get the bars out (whoops!).
But it was worth the effort because these babies are the yummiest little snack. They’re better for you than other granola bars and are addictingly delicious! You can’t stop at just one bite!
Easy No-Bake Granola Bars
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup agave
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- dark chocolate chips
- Spray an 8x8" dish with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 325º F.
- On a baking sheet, spread out oats, coconut and almonds. Place in the oven and toast for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown (not burned!).
- In the meantime, combine the brown sugar, agave, coconut oil, vanilla and salt in a medium sized saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the brown sugar has completely dissolved.
- Pour toasted oat mixture into saucepan with brown sugar mixture and stir together until every morsel is coated and combined.
- Pour into prepared baking dish and press down so it's even on top and push down to make it stay together. Let cool completely.
- When cooled, cut into bars. Melt some dark chocolate chip in a small bowl. Stir and then add in some Nutella (I eyeballed the measurements). Lightly drizzle over granola bars and enjoy!