My oldest son left for 5th grade overnight science camp yesterday. This makes me feel old.
How do I have a kid that's in fifth grade?! I have to say, I was quite sad and a little nervous! I can't talk to him until Friday afternoon when he comes home. But I'm sure he's having a blast! I never went to science camp when I was a kid but this place has a rock wall and all sorts of fun equipment. It's all outdoors except for the cabins they sleep in. I sent a little point and shoot camera with him and can't wait to see what he did while he was there!
So back to food...we normally have Taco Tuesday every week. My kids are obsessed with Taco Tuesday. I get extremely bored with the saaaaaame thing so I try to jazz it up once in awhile. I threw this into the crock pot and served it instead of tacos and my kids devoured it! It's really simple and adaptable to your family's likes. My boys didn't blink an eye at eating the corn that was in it. Booyah for casseroles that hide vegetables, ha!
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Casserole:
Print Recipe Here
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 (10-oz) can red enchilada sauce
- 1 (8-oz) can tomato sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 corn tortillas
- 3-4 boneless chicken breasts, cooked & shredded or cubed (or 1 large can chicken, drained)
- 1 (15-oz) can Ranch-Style beans, drained
- 1 (11-oz) can Mexicorn, drained
- 1 cup grated Mexican cheese blend
- 1 (2-1/4 oz) can sliced black olives
- sour cream and chopped cilantro, for serving
1) Saute onion and garlic in olive oil in a saucepan on medium heat until softened. Stir in enchilada sauce and tomato sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
2) Place two tortillas on the bottom of the slow cooker:
3) Layer one-third of the cooked chicken on top of the tortillas:
4) Top with one-third of the enchilada sauce mixture:
5) Layer one-third of the beans:
6) Now one-third of the corn:
7) Add 1/3 cup of cheese:
8) And sprinkle one-third of the olives over the top:
9) Repeat the layers TWO more times and then top with 2 tortillas:
10) Cover and cook on LOW 6-8 hours. Scoop out onto plates and serve with sour cream and chopped cilantro. ENJOY!!
Looking for more easy dinner ideas?
Print Recipe Here