It's fall ya'll! (I've always wanted to say that, ha!) Check out this Caramel Apple Pudding Cake. It's a delicious dessert that uses layered Granny Smith apples with cinnamon and nutmeg sprinkled over the top, then a cake mixture spread over and a caramel sauce poured over the top. Bake and serve with low-fat ice cream. It is so good. A yummy fall dessert your family will love!
I'm not going to lie, I'm not a huge apple fan. I'm not one to just pick up an apple and eat it. My favorite is a little bit of apple with a lot of peanut butter. Or a little bit of apple with a lot of cake. Sort of like this cake. That title just draws you in, right? Caramel Apple Pudding Cake. It just sounds good. Well, it is!
I had some leftover caramel from this recipe and some apples that needed to be used up so I decided to make this dessert. My family loved it!
Basically, it's layered Granny Smith apples, spices, a cake mixture and then a caramel sauce poured over the top and baked. It is amazing. When you scoop it out, you get the moist apples at the bottom with this rich cake and then a caramel sauce all over. A yummy fall dessert your family will love! And somehow it feels healthy since it has apples in it. ;)
Caramel Apple Pudding Cake
- 2 cups thinly sliced & peeled Granny Smith apples
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, optional
- 3/4 cup caramel ice cream topping (store bought or homemade)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- whipped cream or low-fat ice cream/frozen yogurt for serving
- Preheat oven to 350º. Spray a 2-quart baking dish or a 8x8 baking pan with cooking spray. Arrange Granny Smith apple slices in bottom of dish. Sprinkle with lemon juice, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add milk, the melted butter and vanilla and mix well. Stir in nuts. Spread the batter evenly over the apples.
- In a small saucepan, combine the caramel topping, water and 1 Tbsp. butter and bring to a boil. Pour mixture over batter in baking dish.
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until center is set. While warm, scoop cake, apples and caramel mixture into bowls and serve with whipped cream or ice cream. Enjoy!
Want more good stuff? Follow along!
Here are some more yummy cake recipes: