It’s fall ya’ll! (I’ve always wanted to say that, ha!) Check out this Caramel Apple Pudding Cake. It’s a delicious dessert that uses layered Granny Smith apples with cinnamon and nutmeg sprinkled over the top, then a cake mixture spread over and a caramel sauce poured over the top. Bake and serve with low-fat ice cream. It is so good. A yummy fall dessert your family will love!
Happy Friday!! I feel like this week has flown by. Actually I feel like this month has flown by. I can’t believe it’s almost September! Have your kids started school yet? We only have a couple days left until the big day. The countdown is on…
I’m not going to lie, I’m not a huge apple fan. I’m not one to just pick up an apple and eat it. My favorite is a little bit of apple with a lot of peanut butter. Or a little bit of apple with a lot of cake. Sort of like this cake. That title just draws you in, right? Caramel Apple Pudding Cake. It just sounds good. Well, it is!
I had some leftover caramel from this recipe and some apples that needed to be used up so I decided to make this dessert. My family loved it!
- 2 cups thinly sliced & peeled Granny Smith apples
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp. nutmeg
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- ½ cup low-fat milk
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts, optional
- ¾ cup caramel ice cream topping (store bought or homemade)
- ½ cup water
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- whipped cream or low-fat ice cream/frozen yogurt for serving
- Preheat oven to 350º. Spray a 2-quart baking dish or a 8x8 baking pan with cooking spray. Arrange Granny Smith apple slices in bottom of dish. Sprinkle with lemon juice, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add milk, the melted butter and vanilla and mix well. Stir in nuts. Spread the batter evenly over the apples.
- In a small saucepan, combine the caramel topping, water and 1 Tbsp. butter and bring to a boil. Pour mixture over batter in baking dish.
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until center is set. While warm, scoop cake, apples and caramel mixture into bowls and serve with whipped cream or ice cream. Enjoy!