These Healthy Mini Fruit Pizzas are a healthier sugar cookie spread with Greek yogurt and topped with any fruit you like. They’re a healthier dessert that kids love! They’re also a fun after-school snack. Adults love them too!
Some of my friends’ kids have already started school. I just can’t believe how fast this summer flew by. My boys still have 2 1/2 weeks until their school starts. I’m sort of freaking out that my oldest will be going to middle school. How did this happen?!! When did he grow up? My second oldest will be in 4th grade. This just makes me feels old. I’m pretty sure they’re ready for school to start, though. They’ve both had 2 1/2 hour football practices every night this week. Once school starts, those practices go down to three days a week. Pretty sure they’re excited about that!
Another thing they’re excited about are these little fruit pizzas. The sugar cookies are seriously so delicious. If you’ve been looking for a healthier sugar cookie recipe to make for holiday cookies, this is the best! They are awesome just on their own. But adding the yogurt and fruit makes them even better. The yogurt might sound odd, spreading on top of a cookie, but it adds a creaminess and the fruit adds a little crunch. Honestly, this is probably one of my favorite snacks. You will love these!
- ¾ cup white whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup unsifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- CREAMY FROSTING:
- Low-Fat Vanilla Greek Yogurt
- juice of half an orange, lemon or lime (one quick squeeze)
- PIZZA TOPPINGS:
- Any variety chopped fruit
- Adjust the oven rack to the top third of the oven. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Preheat to 350° F. In a small bowl, combine the flours, baking powder and salt.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook about 1 minute, stirring until the butter turns a nutty brown. Transfer to a mixing bowl (I used a Kitchenaid). Add the sugar and oil. Beat for 1 minute on medium speed.
- Add the egg and vanilla, beat for 2 minutes on medium-high speed. Add the flour mixture and mix on low speed until just combined.
- Divide the dough in half. Working with one half at a time, roll dough on a lightly floured surface to a thickness of ⅛ inch. Cut out cookies with small (about 2- to 2½-inch) circle cookie cutter (I used a glass cup). Place the cookies about ½ inch apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake 5-7 minutes until slightly golden on the edges (do not overbake). Let sit on cookie sheets 1 minute, then transfer with spatula to wire racks. Repeat until all dough is used. Cool completely.
- To assemble: combine yogurt and juice in a small bowl and stir. Spread cooled cookies with yogurt. Arrange fruit on top as desired and serve. Enjoy!!