These Baked Stuffed Tomatoes are the yummiest side dish or appetizer EVER. They're stuffed full of corn, black beans, breadcrumbs, jalapeño, cheese and plain deliciousness. You will love serving these Baked Stuffed Tomatoes with your next meal.
Most of my day is spent carpooling my kids to practices, activities and lessons. I spend loads of my time driving or sitting and waiting in my car. Anyone else feel like a taxi driver for their kids??
Life is super busy all week long and then Sunday comes around. It's my favorite day of the week. I love going to church and I love cooking a big Sunday dinner. I usually try new recipes almost every day of the week but Sunday is my big guinea pig day. I usually go crazy making new things for my husband and boys to try. They let me know if the recipe is "blog worthy" or not.If you follow me on Instagram, you know that I made these awesome stuffed tomatoes on Sunday. Everyone in my family loved them! They were definitely "blog worthy".
My mom used to make stuffed bell peppers when I was a kid and I remember liking the filling but hating the pepper. These baked tomatoes are so delicious, you will definitely want to eat the tomato with it! They don't get mushy or anything, they become a little tender but still firm. The filling is so flavorful and delicious. I can't wait to mess around with this recipe more and add other fillings! Have you made stuffed tomatoes before? If so, I'd love to hear what you put inside them! Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think!
Baked Stuffed Tomatoes
- 4 large tomatoes
- 6 tsp. olive oil, divided
- 3/4 cup frozen corn
- 2 green onions, white and green parts thinly sliced and separated
- 1/2 to 1 small jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup drained & rinsed black beans
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup italian breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 450º. Slice top 1/2 inch from tomatoes and scoop out flesh.
- In a medium sized skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Add corn and scallion whites and cook until crisp-tender, about 3-5 minutes. Transfer to a medium sized bowl and add jalapeño, black beans, 1/4 cup of the cheddar, italian breadcrumbs and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Coat an 8x8" square baking dish with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Brush tomato skins with 1 teaspoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Fill tomatoes with corn mixture and and place in baking dish.
- Combine remaining 1/4 cup cheddar, Panko breadcrumbs, greens of the green onions and 2 tsp. olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Divide among the tops of the tomatoes. Tent baking dish loosely with foil and bake 10 minutes. Uncover and bake until tomatoes are soft and breadcrumbs are golden brown. Serve and enjoy!
If you liked this recipe, you'll love these...