My husband and I moved our two boys over to California several years back, in order for him to go to law school. He graduated from UCLA law school and began working at a big law firm doing corporate and international law.
We were lucky to get such a good job because at about the same time he was going to graduate, the economy tanked and a LOT of law students had their law firm jobs deferred.
Being grateful for a good job, (and because of his awesome work ethic), he worked his booty off. He ended up switching over to another big firm a couple years ago and then recently was given an opportunity to be an in-house attorney for a hedge fund company.
While the stress of the new job is a lot, his hours are so much better. He’s home on the weekends now (he almost always worked weekends before), and he gets home from work at about 8pm – it was more like 11pm with the other firms. And sometimes he would sleep in his office in order to get more work done. Awesome, right? Not.
Anyway, he gets to take four paid weeks off a year, which is so cool. Guess what?? This is one of his weeks off! Vacation officially starts today for him!
I am so excited to have him around this week! We rented a cabin up in Big Bear and will have some time to relax and enjoy each other’s company.
The weather is going to be perfect. We’ll probably take the boys fishing and hiking. Maybe rent a few quads and get out the paintball guns! It’s going to be good.
Wanna know what else is good??
This Skinny Chicken & Broccoli Casserole. 🙂
I love casseroles like this because with my boys’ busy schedules, I can make this ahead of time and bake it when we’re ready to eat. And also, let’s face it – I just like casseroles.
This casserole is healthy and full of lean protein from the chicken and yogurt. Plus you get a bite of yummy broccoli in each bite.
The sauce is light & creamy, too. I like to dish this up with a side of french bread and my boys love it. A healthy dinner everyone will enjoy!
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 (8-oz) pkgs. sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups fat-free-milk
- 1 (16-oz) package steam-in-bag broccoli florets
- 1 (5.3-oz) container fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup light mayonnaise
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ¾ cup Mexican style cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Spray 2-qt. casserole dish with cooking spray. Cook broccoli in microwave according to directions; set aside.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat, add onion and mushrooms and cook until mushrooms are starting to get tender. Add cubed chicken. Cook until chicken is cooked through. Drain pan, if needed.
- Sprinkle flour over chicken & mushroom mixture and stir constantly, cooking for one minute. Stir in milk. Bring to a boil and cook for 3 minutes, or until thick and bubbly.
- Stir in cooked broccoli, and heat through about 1 minute. Add yogurt, mayo, salt and pepper, stirring lightly to combine.
- Pour into prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle top with cheese and bake for 20 minutes, or until cheese melts and it's bubbly around the edges. Enjoy!!