Coconut Chickpea Curry – chickpeas in a creamy curry sauce and served over rice. Quick, easy and absolutely delicious!It’s no secret I’m a fan of chickpeas, aka garbanzo beans. I’m known to have a tupperware in my fridge full of them at all times. They’re filled with protein and fiber plus the texture is just awesome. I eat them straight from the fridge by the handful when I need a quick snack.
Buuuuuttt…I’m kind of a baby when it comes to cooking with them. Why? I don’t know! I’m much more comfortable cooking chicken or ground beef!
But I LOVE me some curry so I decided to go out of my comfort zone and make a vegetarian dish using my favorite little beans. And let me just say, wow. This is amazing.
The coconut curry sauce is creamy and delicious. Not to mention SO EASY!
It’s a matter of opening a few cans, measuring out some spices and letting the flavors cook up together. After 10-15 minutes, you got yourself a creamy coconut chickpea curry worthy of a restaurant but that you made right in your own kitchen! Invite some friends over tonight for dinner and make this, and you will sure to impress!
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 (14.5-oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (13.5-oz) can light coconut milk
- 1½ tsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. cumin powder
- 1 tsp. salt, or more to taste
- ½ tsp. ground coriander
- chopped cilantro, for serving
- 4-6 cups hot cooked basmati rice, for serving
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add in chopped onion and garlic. Cook until fragrant and softened.
- Add in chickpeas, tomatoes, coconut milk, curry powder, cumin, salt and coriander. Stir together. Turn heat up to medium-high and simmer, stirring frequently, until broth has cooked down some and thickened a bit, about 10-15 minutes.
- Place hot, cooked basmati rice on plates on in bowls and ladle curry over the top. Sprinkle with a bit of cilantro and serve!