Lemon Oregano Chicken & Shrimp Skewers are marinated and then grilled for a delicious and healthy dinner recipe! (high protein, paleo, low carb and clean eating)
If you read this blog, you know that I am pretty much obsessed with skewers. I have lots of yummy skewer recipes on here. From appetizer, all the way to dessert skewers. I seriously love them.
If I had my way, we would make them every week. My husband likes them too but isn’t a fan of threading ingredients onto skewers. I find it sort of therapeutic so I usually do it. 😉 These Lemon Oregano Chicken & Shrimp Skewers are amazing served up with a side of vegetables, like a batch of Caramelized Butternut Squash.
My husband and I have been prepping our meals ahead of time for the last few weeks and have really enjoyed it. It’s fun to cook and plan together. The hardest part for me is creating proteins that taste good and will reheat and still taste as good as when it was first cooked.
Skewers are an amazing way to go! Especially when they’re soaked in a lemon oregano marinade and then grilled. Cue the hallelujah chorus! Deliciousness on a stick!
I love using fresh herbs and citrus in marinades. The acid in the citrus makes the meat tender quickly and the herbs make the meat taste so much better.
A few tips for this recipe… be sure to keep all the chicken on their own skewers and the shrimp on their own skewers. The shrimp will take less time to cook and you’ll want to put those skewers on last. Also, I found that a 9×13 pan works perfectly to soak wooden skewers and to marinate the meat after you have it threaded onto the skewers. I hope you get a chance to try these Lemon Oregano Chicken & Shrimp Skewers soon!
- 1½ lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- zest from one lemon
- ¼ cup lemon juice (juice from approximately one lemon)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 2 Tbsp. fresh oregano, minced
- wooden skewers
- Fill a 9x13" cake pan about ⅓ full of water. Place wooden skewers in cake pan to soak. Set aside.
- Prepare chicken by trimming off fat and cutting into cubes. Peel and devein shrimp.
- In a bowl, combine lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper and oregano.
- Pour out water in cake pan and thread chicken and shrimp onto soaked skewers. Tip: it's best to not mix the shrimp and chicken because the chicken will take longer than the shrimp to cook.
- When all skewers are threaded, place inside cake pan and pour prepared marinade over the skewers. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for up to 3 hours for the chicken (less time is best for the shrimp)
- Preheat grill (or grill pan) to medium-high heat. Place chicken skewers on hot grill and cook for a few minutes, and then flip. Add shrimp skewers to grill and cook each side for a minute or two. Be careful to not overcook. Serve and enjoy!