Look what I have for you today…another bread recipe!! That’s two in a week! Nothing wrong with a little carb action, am I right?
Not sure what’s gotten into me, but I’ve been doing a lot of baking with yeast this week. I made homemade pita bread again and then shared the best Peasant Bread recipe the other day, and now these awesome orange rolls. I think I was inspired by this month’s Mystery Dish ingredients, which included yeast in the list.
This month’s Mystery Dish was hosted by the darling Cate from Chez Catey Lou and she made up a challenging list of ingredients to choose from. Here they are:
-peanut butter chips
-whole wheat pastry flour
Good ones, right? Lots of possibilities with this list! At first I wanted to use zucchini and I actually made these Zucchini Fries but I sort of got in a baking mood and decided to make something sweet using the yeast and lemon. So these cute orange rolls were created!
The best part about these rolls is how easy they are to make. There’s no lousy kneading or waiting around for hours to rise. Nope. Mix the ingredients together, roll them out, spread with orangey buttery goodness, roll up, cut and let rise for a short 15 minutes. Bake and glaze.
So maybe I lied and said the best part is how easy they are to make, but I think the best part is how yummy, soft and citrusy they are! There’s nothing quite like a warm sweet roll from the oven! Topped with a lemon glaze, you really can’t get better than that.
It’s a fun and delicious summery recipe everyone loves that won’t take you long to make. I hope you like them as much as we do!
- 1¼ cup warm water
- 2 Tbsp. Truvia or ¼ cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp. instant yeast
- ⅓ cup oil (I used coconut oil)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- 3½ cups flour
- 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 3 Tbsp. Truvia or about ⅓ cup sugar
- zest from one large orange (about 1 Tbsp)
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp. milk
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine warm water and sugar and yeast. Add in oil, salt, egg and flour and stir until dough forms.
- On a floured surface, roll dough out into a rectangle. In a small bowl, combine 6 Tbsp. butter, 3 Tbsp. Truvia or sugar, and zest from an orange. Spread evenly over rolled out dough. Roll into one long roll. Cut into about 1 to 1½ inch sections (you should get 12-14 rolls from this) Place each roll into the prepared muffin tin. Let rise for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375º F. In a small bowl, combine 1 Tbsp. butter, powdered sugar, milk, lemon zest and juice.
- Place rolls in the oven and bake for about 15 minutes, until lightly golden. Drizzle with lemon glaze and ENJOY!
1. Raspberry Lemon Sweet Roll Cake with Buttermilk Glaze – Baking a Moment
2. Twice Baked Zucchini Boat – Chelsea’s Messy Apron
3. Buttermilk Panna Cotta with Raspberry Mint Compote – Blahnik Baker
4. Lemon-Raspberry Bundt Cake – I Dig Pinterest
5. Peanut Butter Chip Cookies – The Dessert Chronicles
6. Mini Coconut Cupcakes with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting – I Want Crazy
7. Zucchini Noodles with Meat Mushroom Tomato Sauce – Joyfully Healthy Eats
8. Baked Wonton Cups Filled with Edamame Corn Salad – The Well Floured Kitchen
9. Easy 30 Minute Orange Rolls – Yummy Healthy Easy
10. BBQ Chicken Salad with Jalapeno Basil Ranch Dressing – The Pajama Chef
11. Mini Reese’s Peanut Butter Cupcakes – Culinary Couture
12. Zucchini Muffins with Lemon Glaze – The Weary Chef
13. Lemon Bundt Cake – Chez CateyLou