Muffins filled with bits of apple and topped with a delicious crumble topping. The perfect fall breakfast or treat!
I’m so excited to be participating in the Mystery Dish Challenge! Let me explain the challenge a bit… there are 11 bloggers that will rotate every month in creating a mystery box that includes several ingredients of their choosing. The other bloggers will have to create something yummy using some of those ingredients and then share their creations. How fun is that?! So I’ll be sharing what I came up with as well as what the other bloggers came up with too! These blogger gals are really talented. They came up with some amazing dishes.
This month, I created these awesome Apple Muffins with Nut Crumble Topping using two of the ingredients from the box: apples and cinnamon. They are moist and so delicious.
My mom used to make the most amazing coffee cake for breakfast when I was growing up. It’s still one of my favorite breakfasts but it makes such a big batch and I’m afraid I’ll eat the entire thing. Like, honestly. Cake for breakfast? Count me in! But I’d probably have to run 12 miles to burn off the calories, so that’s why making muffins for breakfast is a better choice for me. They’re portioned controlled and I probably won’t eat all twelve…hopefully. It tastes like coffee cake in muffin form!
When you bite into these muffins, you get a yummy moist bit of apple in each bite. The crumble topping is crunchy and sweet. These are the perfect fall breakfast or treat!
Apple Muffins with Nut Crumble Topping - September Mystery Dish
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 apple peeled and chopped small
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour or all-purpose
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts I used walnuts
- Preheat oven to 400º. Grease bottoms of muffin tin.
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg and stir in milk, apple and oil. Stir in the flour, cinnamon, brown sugar, baking powder and salt all at once and stir until just moistened. The batter will be slightly lumpy. Fill 12 muffin cups about 3/4 full.
- In a small bowl, mix together the topping ingredients: 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon and 1/4 cup chopped nuts.
- Sprinkle evenly over tops of uncooked muffins. Bake until golden brown, about 16-20 minutes (keep checking to see if they're finished cooking!) Remove pan from oven and immediately remove from muffin tin and cool on a rack. Enjoy!
2. A Fall Inspired Apple Chicken Salad
3. Maple Apple Pie-Crisp with Cheddar Crust & Bacon Crumb Topping
4. Soft Baked Maple Bacon Cookies
5. Apple Cinnamon Pancake Cupcakes
6. Apple Muffins with Nut Crumble Topping
8. Brie, Apple, Bacon Grilled Cheese
9. Peanut Butter Apple Crisp
10. Apple Bacon Cheddar Soup
11. Apple Peanut Butter Muffins with Cinnamon Glaze
Be on the lookout for another Mystery Dish at the end of October!
JT and Dani says
Portion control: definitely necessary. Although, whether that’ll stop me from eating them all or not is another story. And a mile per muffin does not sound fun. Worth it probably though…
Can’t wait to see what you make next month! Thanks for being a part of the fun 😀
Love these muffins and love that we both went the muffin route! 🙂
Nora @ Buttercream Fanatic says
I love muffins for the exact same reason – it’s easier to know when to stop! I don’t know if I could stop myself from eating all of these though….
These look amazing, Jen! My mom used to make a delicious coffee cake too! I’d almost forgotten about it. I’ve pinned these and can’t wait to make them for breakfast or brunch soon.
This sounds like such a fun challenge! This also look delicious and I’m going to have to make them soon. Thanks for sharing!
These muffins sound delicious Jen, love the nut crumble topping for some added crunch! I am a muffin girl in the morning so I can’t wait to try these. Pinning! 🙂
Krista @ Joyful Healthy Eats
These look like perfection! Love them for fall and yes I need portion control help too!
Lisa Longley says
These look absolutely delicious Jen! I probably would eat all 12! Thank you for linking up with Wake Up Wednesdays!
[email protected] says
What a fun idea! I love the mystery dish challenge! And these muffins look FABULOUS, Jen. I love muffins with toppings!
Catherine Cappiello Pappas says
Dear Jen, These muffins are just what I’m craving! I love apple crumbles and I love them in muffin form. Perfect treat for on the go. Blessings, Catherine xo
sarah k @ the pajama chef says
what a delicious muffin! i love crumble toppings.
Miz Helen says
Your Apple Muffins look delicious, we will just love them. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday, and have a great weekend.
What a fun idea, and lots of yummy recipes coming out of it!
Tegwin Fairbanks says
I was signed up to receive emails from you. Do you know why I stopped receiving them. This has also happened to numerous blogs that I subscribed to . Thanks!
Hi Tegwin! I guess Yahoo users aren’t receiving updates, you’re not the only one! Frustrating! But I’ll be switching providers soon so hopefully you’ll get them again. Also, if you have a gmail account, try adding that email into my subscribers box because I don’t think gmail is affected like yahoo is. Thanks so much for being a reader! I really appreciate you!!