For me, one of the hardest parts about summer is feeding my boys’ lunch. Does anyone else with kids at home, feel like they’re cooking, feeding kids and doing dishes all day long?! Sheesh!
I gotta say, lunchtime is not my friend. I have a hard time coming up with things to make for my kids (and for myself).
I want it to be a healthy lunch but I also don’t want to spend an hour making it. They get so tired of the same turkey and cheese sandwich over and over and over.
My solution? Avocado Chickpea Salad Sandwich! Easy, healthy and totally quick!
What I love about this sandwich, is that it literally takes only a few minutes to make, it tastes SO GOOD and is super healthy! It has no mayo in it, which is awesome.
I cooked a big batch of chickpeas one day and had a bag of them sitting in the fridge. I love having cooked chickpeas around to throw into salads and things. They’re full of fiber, protein and vitamins. Mash some together with some avocado and herbs and you have yourself an amazing sandwich!
My boys liked it too! At first glance, it’s very green. But after one bite, you’re sold. So, no more wondering what you’re going to make for lunch today, because you’re going to make this sandwich!
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 Tbsp. non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1 green onion chopped
- 1 Tbsp. cilantro chopped
- 1/4 tsp. salt or more for taste
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- In a bowl, smash together chickpeas and avocado with the back of a fork until you get the texture that you desire.
- Mix in Greek yogurt, lime juice, green onion, cilantro, salt and pepper. Spread onto two slices of bread and top each with another slice of bread. Serve and enjoy!