Healthy Black Bean & Quinoa Stuffed Zucchini – a hearty and easy meatless side dish or dinner that’s gluten-free and clean-eating. So delicious, you won’t even think it’s healthy!
There’s something great about being able to stuff a vegetable with healthy stuff. Makes me feel like a wizard. Is that silly? I get this crazy, giddy feeling when I make up a recipe that not only tastes great but is healthy too. (Picture me standing at the oven, doing a happy dance when I see how good the recipe turned out. Yep, that’s what I do!)
I’ve stuffed everything from burgers, bell peppers (and a stuffed pepper casserole, too), pasilla peppers, acorn squash, and even tomatoes. But I haven’t stuffed zucchini – until today! I’m really excited about this recipe!
It’s super healthy but tastes almost like, dare I say, pizza? Even with the southwestern flavors in this, I think stuffed zucchini with a bit of tomato sauce in it tends to taste like pizza. So maybe this tastes more like a taco pizza?? Ha!
Either way, it is so delicious. I ate half of this pan. I saved a little for my husband, because I’m nice like that. 😉 So many yummy flavors all tucked into one pan of zucchinis. It’s high protein, vegetarian and delicious. Do yourself a favor and harvest those summer zucchini in your garden and make yourself some Black Bean & Quinoa Stuffed Zucchini. You won’t regret it!
- 3 medium zucchini
- ½ cup cooked quinoa
- ½ cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1 (8-oz) can tomato sauce
- ½ cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- ¼ tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Heat zucchini for 5 minutes in the microwave. Set aside to let cool.
- Mix cooked quinoa, cottage cheese, tomato sauce, black beans, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Cut each of the cooled zucchini in half and scrape the seeds out of the insides using a spoon.
- Fill each zucchini half with the black bean/quinoa mixture and place in baking dish.
- Bake for about 40 minutes. Add the shredded cheese and bake until cheese has melted, about 5 minutes or less. Serve and enjoy!