It’s that time again…Mystery Dish time!
I seriously love this challenge. It has made me grow so much as a cook and baker and blogger. Every time we get a new set of ingredients for the month, I get really excited and start thinking of all the possible combinations and recipes.
This month, Kat from I Want Crazy picked the ingredients. She chose:
- Boxed Cake Mix
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Dried Fruit
And she told us we had to use at least three of the ingredients!
The first thing that stuck out to me was the coconut and the shrimp. I thought coconut shrimp with a dipping sauce would be fabulous!
But then I bought the shrimp and like, 5 days passed and I came up with every reason possible to NOT make coconut shrimp. I always do that! Whenever I think a recipe sounds too hard to make, I put it off for days. Eventually the shrimp went bad and I threw it out! #failOkaaaaay…moving on to option #2 – COOKIES!! I paired up oats, cinnamon and coconut to make some cookies. And with Easter around the corner, why not throw some carrot in there too?!
Cookies are so fun to take pictures of! I get giddy when I make a batch knowing I get to take pictures of them. These carrot cookies are super moist and cinnamony (is that a word??). They’re not the world’s sweetest cookie, which is nice actually. My husband preferred them without any glaze. I liked them with a little drizzle. My kids?? They wanted to dunk it in the glaze like milk, haha!
Get ready for next month my friends, because this lady is in charge of the mystery ingredients! 😉 I can’t wait!
Carrot Oatmeal Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 cup quick oats not instant
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup coconut oil or 2 sticks butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated carrot 3-4 carrots
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350º F. In a medium bowl, combine flours, baking soda, salt, baking powder, cloves, cinnamon and oats. Mix well and set aside.
- With a mixer, beat together sugars and coconut oil in a large bowl. Add eggs and vanilla and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add carrots, coconut and walnuts; blend until combined. Batter will be a lumpy.
- Add flour mixture and blend at a low speed until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Drop by tablespoons onto ungreased cookie sheets and bake for 13-15 minutes. Watch them so they don't brown too much! Immediately transfer cookies to a cooling rack.
- If you want your cookies a little sweeter, blend a small amount of powdered sugar with a small amount of milk in a bowl. Add milk or powdered sugar until to the perfect consistency you like. Drizzle it over the cookies and serve. Enjoy!
Check out what my mystery dish friends made this month:
3.Baked Mini Carrot Cake Donuts by Culinary Couture Blog
6.Gooey Oatmeal Cranberry Bars by I Want Crazy