This Chicken Cacciatore Recipe is full of chicken and vegetables in a flavorful tomato sauce. It’s an easy, comforting and healthy dinner the whole family will love!
Do you ever have a mile long daily to-do list but somehow you end up sitting in a chair staring at the wall? Or your computer screen?
No? Okay, then. I’m a weirdo. 😉
That’s me today. I leave town to go to Portland early Friday morning for a blog conference. Like, early. My flight leaves at 6:40am. Yowza! I have only one day to get everything packed and prepared for my trip.
This includes typing out an agenda for my babysitter of everything she has to do on Friday. It’s really crazy how much driving I do! Handing the burden over for a day feels good but the preparation is annoying.
Not to mention all the laundry and packing to get my bag ready to go…plus a million errands around town and a baseball game for my ten year old and baseball practice for my oldest on the night before I go.
Just thinking about it makes me want a nap!
But then I end up sitting in my office chair, staring at my computer screen or the wall. I don’t want to do any of it! I want to just be able to leave town and have it all done for me. Ha!
Of course, the last thing I want to do is think about dinner. My husband is great about making quick things like sandwiches for the kids if I’m out of town. But I like to make a few yummy meals ahead of time and leave them for him and the boys to eat while I’m gone so he doesn’t have to worry about it.
This Chicken Cacciatore recipe is the perfect one to make for them. Not only does it makes quite a bit of food but it’s great as leftovers. My boys love it and I love the fact that they’ll eat the vegetables in it! This is one of those recipes you can pull out of your hat if you have company coming over and want to impress them. It does require some chopping of vegetables but it all simmers together on the stove until cooked and tastes fabulous over a bed of noodles or my boys’ favorite: mashed potatoes.
This Chicken Cacciatore recipe is one you will not want to miss. You will love this easy and healthy dinner!
- 2-3 lbs. chicken cutlets or chicken breasts, cut into smaller pieces
- salt & pepper
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced or quartered
- 1 (14.5-oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
- ½ cup chicken broth
- mashed potatoes or noodles, to serve with
- In a dutch oven (or heavy pan), heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and place in hot pan. Brown chicken on both sides. Remove from skillet and set aside on a plate.
- Pour remaining tablespoon of olive oil in dutch oven and add in onion, garlic and bell pepper. Stir until fairly tender, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Pour in tomatoes, broth, Italian seasoning and mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms are almost tender. Taste and season as needed. Add in browned chicken and juices.
- Cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes on medium-low heat, until all vegetables are tender and chicken is cooked through and very tender.
- Serve on plates with spaghetti noodles or mashed potatoes. Enjoy!