I made it through my kids made it through another school year! Yesterday was the last day and we also had our championship baseball game for my oldest.
It was a rough game and we ended up losing but my boy played his heart out and I was just SO proud of his commitment and his hard work. He managed a few runs and had some RBI’s so I felt like it was a good game and a successful season. Next up, football!
I’m not particularly happy about summer. I feel like this blog will be my sanity to help me get through the long days where I’ll mostly likely have a house filled with my boys’ friends. That’s what it seems like nowadays.
Apparently word gets out that a certain mom cooks a lot and you end up having the whole neighborhood wanting to come over and hang out aka eat your food. 😉 It’s nice to be the party house but I hope it doesn’t turn into an all day, every day thing this summer!
A few weeks ago, when I was picking up my husband from the hospital after his appendectomy, we headed to Sweet Tomatoes. Have you ever been there before? OMG. I love that place. It’s funny how you think you’re being all healthy going to a salad bar but I swear I leave there probably consuming more calories than I normally eat in a week!
Anyway, we all know I’m a carb freak, yes? They have these corn muffins there that are so freaking amazing. They’re full of corn kernels and just wow. I always have the urge to wrap a huge bundle in napkins and stick them in my purse before leaving. (Don’t worry, I haven’t done that! Yet.)
Corn muffins are one of my very favorite side dishes and my boys feel the same. These muffins are amazing. Light, fluffy and easy as can be. I LOVE the whole corn kernels in here and the texture of them in the muffins. If you’re looking for a fun side dish to cook up this weekend, give these a try. You won’t be sorry!
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. Truvia or 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 egg whites
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 15-oz can whole kernel sweet corn, drained
- 1/4 cup finely grated low-fat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400º F. Spray 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray or use a paper liner in each cup. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, Truvia, baking soda, and salt. Mix up with a fork and make a well in the center, set aside.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together milk, egg whites and olive oil. Pour into well in dry ingredients. Lightly stir together and then add in corn and cheese. Fold ingredients together just until blended.
- Spoon batter into prepare pan and bake for about 15 mins or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan on counter for 5 minutes and then remove from pan and enjoy!