A fun, easy red white & blue cake that you can whip together for a last minute, delicious 4th of July dessert!
I just spent the best weekend in Palm Springs with my little family! We rented a pool-side room at the Omni resort. They have an awesome pool set up, with a big pool, water slides, splash pad and lazy river. It was ah.maz.ing.
Now that my little boys are older and don’t need naps anymore, it’s fun to take trips like this where we can go and do fun things and enjoy the time together and we’re not rushing back for feedings or naps. Plus my little guys actually get it and enjoy it more. If that makes sense.
Now I’m back home, and mourning my vacation time! I wanna go back to to Palm Springs!!! Even though it was over 100 degrees there, we had tons of fun chillaxin in the pools. Oh and seeing Jurassic World (finally)!
But up next is the 4th of July. I have mixed emotions for this holiday. Just about every 4th of July, I’m usually without one of my kiddos. My oldest. He goes to Utah to spend an entire month with his dad. I’m always so sad to see him go. The first week is the hardest. I cry daily, I miss him so much.
It’s crazy how one kid gone can leave such a void in your heart. I’m getting ready to go somewhere and I think, someone is missing! Duh. Or I’ll randomly call to him in the house and then remember he’s not there. He’s sort of my rock and I’ve grown to count and rely on him for not only help but as a confidant. We have such a strong relationship and I love and appreciate him so much.
On the flip side, he is really excited to go. He’s looking forward to seeing his other family. I feel lucky that I get to have him for the majority of the year. I have nothing to complain about, right?
I’ll miss the crap outta him but I’ll be okay. It’s only a month, right?!?! Ugh. I’ll drown out my sorrows with both his and my favorite – bundt cake!
This bundt cake is especially amazing because it’s three colors (duh) – red white and blue! But guess what? It’s made from a cake mix (two thumbs up in this chicks book! Hence, EASY). It’s not healthy, so head on over to this skinny bundt cake recipe if you’re looking for that…but it IS super fun and patriotic.
It’s so easy to make this red white and blue cake. Only a cake mix, food coloring, and a few ingredients for the glaze. So simple and perfect for a last minute 4th of July weekend dessert!
Easy Red White and Blue Cake Recipe
- 1 box white cake mix
- ingredients required from cake mix oil, egg whites
- red food coloring
- blue food coloring
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2-4 Tbsp. fat-free milk
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 325ºF. Generously spray a bundt cake pan with cooking spray.
- Make cake mix according to the box directions, using water, oil and egg whites.
- Pour 1 1/4 cup of the batter into a small bowl and color it red with food coloring.
- Pour 1 cup of batter into another bowl and mix in blue coloring.
- Pour red batter into the bottom of the prepared pan. Carefully pour white batter over red batter in pan.
- Now, carefully pour blue batter over white - it doesn't need to cover the white all the way.
- Bake as directed on box, or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool until warm and them flip over onto a serving platter or plate.
- When cake is cool, combine powdered sugar, milk and vanilla in medium bowl and mix until fully incorporated. I like to add the milk one tablespoon at a time to make sure it doesn't get too runny. If glaze isn't runny enough, add more milk and if it's too runny, add more powdered sugar.
- Drizzle over the top of the cake. Slice and serve.
Check out these other holiday treat ideas: