No better way to use up that summer zucchini than in a healthy and easy side dish! This Tomato Zucchini Skillet is made in one pan and kicks the pants off those frozen veggie side dishes. 😉
As a food blogger, I very rarely make the same thing twice for dinner. I’m usually trying new recipes and techniques. But when it comes to side dishes – that’s a whole other story!
I almost always grab that frozen bag of corn, peas, or whatever I can get my hands on and just throw it in the microwave. I’m so bad about making new veggie side dishes that actually make it easy to eat vegetables.
So I thought, why not combine some veggies and sauté them up together in one pan to create an easy side dish that is healthy, simple and delicious? And use up that zucchini you have left in your garden!
I might be weird but I love sautéed onions. I could eat sautéed onions for an entire meal. (I know, see? I AM weird!). I sautéed an onion and zucchini until they were crisp-tender and then added some tomatoes. Cook those for a few minutes and then top with some mozzarella cheese and seasoned breadcrumbs. Easy and totally delicious! Even my older boys liked it and they’re pretty tough to please in the veggie department. 😉
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp. italian seasoning
- 2 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 1½ tsp. light butter
- 1 tomato, sliced
- ½ tsp. garlic salt
- 1-2 tsp. diced fresh basil or ½ tsp. dried basil
- salt & pepper
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a small bowl, mix breadcrumbs with Italian seasoning. Set aside.
- In a skillet, melt butter on medium heat. Add zucchini and onion and sauté until crisp tender.
- Add tomato, garlic salt, basil and S & P. Lightly stir. Cover with lid and cook until tomato is tender, only a few minutes.
- Top with mozzarella cheese and seasoned breadcrumbs. Cover again with lid until cheese melts.
- Sever immediately. Enjoy!!