Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Muffins (with cranberry sauce inside, too – perfect fall breakfast!) topped with a brown sugar-nut topping. So moist & delicious! This recipe post was created as part of the NOW Foods Holiday Smart Swap Recipe Challenge.
Last year for Thanksgiving, my family drove over to Utah to visit family. We shopped, snowboarded (that was not successful, but a whole other story…) and ate Thanksgiving dinner with my husband’s family.
The day after Thanksgiving, my mother in law whipped up some of the moistest muffins I’ve ever had. I was shocked when she told me they had mashed sweet potatoes mixed inside! I forced her to share the recipe with me. 😉
We moved a month ago and I found that recipe hiding in with all my recipe books. SO EXCITED.
But question first, have you ever made anything with gluten free flour? I have to admit I’ve attempted gluten free tortillas and they were not good. Like, throw away bad. It sort of made me not excited about gluten free baking.
But then I was introduced to Living Now products. Have you ever tried their gluten-free all-purpose flour? It’s really amazing. It measures cup for cup like regular all-purpose flour but is gluten free, dairy free, wheat free, soy free, nut free and egg free. Pretty awesome if you have food allergies.
So I changed up my MIL’s recipe a bit. I swapped out the all-purpose flour for Living Now Gluten-Free Flour, swapped out the sugar for some Stevia (can use Truvia Baking Blend or Now Foods Sugarless Sugar), and added a yummy brown sugar & pecan topping using Now Foods Honey Roasted Pecans – which by the way are so so good. We ate almost the entire bag in one day just from snacking on them.
These sweet potato muffins were a hit with my boys. You can’t tell they’re gluten free! They’re moist and have such a great flavor. Adding sweet potatoes makes them so soft and the cranberry sauce gives them an extra burst of flavor. Plus, they’re great for after the Thanksgiving holdiday when you always seem to have leftover sweet potatoes and cranberry sauce sitting around!
If you get the chance, head on over and check out all of great Now Foods products!
- ½ cup granulated sugar (or ¼ cup Truvia Baking Blend)
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup coconut oil (or canola oil)
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato
- 2 cups Living Now Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup cranberry sauce
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ cup chopped pecans (I used NOW Foods Honey-Roasted Pecans)
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together sugar, water, oil, and vanilla. Add in sweet potato.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Add dry ingredients into sweet potato mixture. Lightly mix in the cranberry sauce and then the eggs, until all incorporated.
- Distribute into the muffin tin, filling about ¾ full.
- In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, cinnamon, and chopped pecans. Lightly sprinkle each uncooked muffin with some of the brown sugar-nut topping.
- Place in oven and bake for about 30 minutes - or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean or the tops are springy.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes and then carefully take muffins out of muffin tin. Then...devour! Enjoy!