- 1/3 cup fat free milk
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons taco seasoning, divided (I made my own taco seasoning using THIS recipe)
- 1 (14.75 oz) can cream-style corn
- 1 (8.5 oz) box Jiffy corn muffin mix
- 1 (4 oz) can chopped green chiles, drained
- 1 (10 oz) can red enchilada sauce
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken breasts (or 1 large can)
- 3/4 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- cilantro and crumbled Cotija cheese for serving
I am obsessed with pies.
I have no idea why, but lately I am.
I feel like that’s all I’ve made. Just last week I made Shepard’s Pie, Chicken Pot Pie, (recipe to come later…) a creamy cheesecake style pie, and this little beauty: Chicken Tamale Pie.
Seriously. I must have some kind of pie-related condition that makes me only want to bake and eat pie shaped foods. Whatever it is…me likey, because this Tamale Pie is awesome.
I am a huge fan of regular tamales, with their yummy corn exterior and meaty filling. But I’ve never had the courage to make them from scratch before. This pie is an easy alternative to a tamale and you know what? I think it’s even better. It has red enchilada sauce on it and if you know me at all, then you know I could pour enchilada sauce on my potatoes as gravy I love it so much! (hey, that’s actually not a bad idea! 🙂
Plus this pie has the yummiest tamale style green chili corn crust that I could eat all day. Seriously. Such a good combination. With very few ingredients and its simplicity to throw together, it’s the perfect go-to dinner. Oh, and it’s healthy too! You seriously have to make this. Like, tonight for dinner. Your family will thank you. 🙂
CHICKEN TAMALE PIE: (recipe adapted from Pinch of Yum)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Combine the first 6 ingredients (milk thru green chiles) using just 1/2 tablespoon taco seasoning. in a large bowl. Stir just until moist. Pour mixture into a round pie plate coated with cooking spray.
3. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. While corn crust is baking, mix the chicken and remaining 1 tablespoon taco seasoning together. When corn crust is done – it will be just barely set and golden brown – pierce entire surface liberally with a fork. Pour enchilada sauce over top. Top with seasoned chicken and sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until cheese melts. Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes. Top with Cotija cheese and cilantro. ENJOY!
LINKING THIS RECIPE TO THESE FUN PARTIES:
Somewhat Simple Blog Party, Catch a Glimpse Party, Crafty Soiree, Transformation Thursday, Swanky Stuff Thursday, Creative Thursday, Frugal Friday, Friday Fun Party, Flaunt it Friday, Delicately Constructed Fridays, Free For All Friday, Fantabulous Friday, Weekend Wrap-Up Party, Strut Your Stuff Saturday, Seasonal Inspiration, Spotlight Saturday, Tips & Tricks, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Tip Me Tuesday, Tuesday Talent Show, Tasty Tuesday, Totally Tasty Tuesday, Trick or Treat Tuesday,