These Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins are the best of both worlds – healthy AND decadent! They’re full of tender zucchini and chocolate chips but are made healthier by using applesauce instead of lots of butter. These make a yummy breakfast or after school snack!
My baby turned SIX on Sunday! I can’t even believe it. I keep looking at pictures of him as a tiny infant and it feels like just yesterday that I had him. What’s also crazy is that I had an 11 month old at the time that I had him, lol!
I literally had two babies! So for a month, they’re the same age. Isn’t that wild? So I have two six-year olds until April 1st. Just crazy!
Anyway, to celebrate my little guys big day, when he woke up, my husband and I made him breakfast. Bacon, eggs and muffins! I wanted to make healthier muffins but wanted them to be ones the kids would actually eat, so I made Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins!
These are awesome because they have the health benefits of zucchini but have chocolate chips too, making them a little richer. This recipe has little sugar and uses applesauce instead of a lot of butter or oil, and I used white whole wheat flour to add a little extra fiber.
They were so good and all my boys loved them! Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins for the WIN! These make a yummy grab and go breakfast but are also great to serve the kiddos after school!
Healthy Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp. applesauce
- 1 egg
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour or all-purpose
- 1 Tbsp. + 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.
- Layer grated zucchini in paper towels to get excess moisture off.
- Cream butter and sugar in a mixing bowl. Add applesauce and egg and combine.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a separate bowl. Pour vanilla extract into the cup of milk.
- Add about 1/3 of flour mixture to mixing bowl and mix on low until just combined. Don't overmix. Add half of the milk and mix until just combined. Add another 1/3 of the flour mixture and mix until barely combined. Add the remaining milk and blend. Finish the rest of the flour mixture, making sure to not overmix.
- Fold in zucchini and chocolate chips and divide batter into muffin cups. Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until tops are barely golden brown and spring back when touched. Let cool and remove from pan. Enjoy!