Granola Parfait made with a healthier granola (made using coconut oil!) The parfait is layered with granola, dark chocolate, Greek yogurt and berries – delicious!
After Christmas was over, I realized that my kids had another week off of school. Yeah, SO not sitting around the house for another week with my bored kids!
So I loaded them all in the car and took off for Arizona to see my parents and a few of my siblings that still live there. Since I’ve been here, I have been eating so much junk! This whole Christmas break has been a junk food fest. Bloat city, people.
I wanted to make something healthy and incorporate coconut oil in it. Coconut oil has been on my list of strange ingredients to try. I’ve seen lots of recipes including it but I really had no clue what to do with it or how to use it.
After a little research, I knew I wanted to give it a try in my sister’s granola recipe that I posted several months back. It’s my favorite granola and it uses some melted butter in it. I replaced the butter with coconut oil and you won’t believe that it tastes EXACTLY the same as the recipe does if you use butter!
Since then, I’ve made several more recipes using coconut oil and have loved the outcome of every one of them! I am super excited to do lots more cooking with it. If you’re like me and have never used it before- try it. It’s healthier than butter or vegetable oil and is super easy to use.
These parfaits are so delicious. Layers of light Greek yogurt, healthy granola, chopped dark chocolate pieces, and berries. A healthy and filling breakfast (or snack) you’ll love! Perfect healthy recipe for any day of the week.
Healthy Homemade Granola Parfait
- 6 c. uncooked old fashioned oats
- 2 c. sliced almonds
- 1 c. shredded coconut
- 1 c. roasted and salted sunflower seeds
- 1 Tbsp. flaxseed or more if you like it!
- 1 Tbsp. wheat germ or more if you like it!
- 1/2 c. coconut oil melted
- 1 c. honey
- Greek yogurt
- strawberries sliced
- chopped dark chocolate optional (I used chopped dark chocolate chips)
- Mix first six ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Melt your coconut oil in a small bowl in the microwave (about 30 seconds to 1 minute). Add the honey and mix. Pour over oat mixture and stir.
- Pour on a cookie sheet and spread into an even layer.
- Bake at 325 degrees for about 15 minutes, then stir it and let bake for another 10-15 minutes, until golden brown. (Your kitchen is going to smell SO GOOD!!)
- Let granola cool. Store in an airtight container. (FYI - makes many servings of granola)
- When ready to assemble, place yogurt in bottom of glass. Add a layer of granola, then chopped dark chocolate, then berries and repeat. Dig in and enjoy!