Craving a twice baked potato but don’t want all the calories? Make some Healthy Twice Baked Potatoes! With few ingredients and double the flavor, you will LOVE these!
Three out of four of my boys started school yesterday!! I’m half thrilled and half sad. My older two are at the same school, which is really nice and then my 5 year old started kindergarten. (big sad tears!) I have to admit that I cried after I dropped him off. He kept looking back at me and I was waving to him, trying to hold back the tears.
The night before was a rough one for me. I had a hard time falling asleep and all I could think about was my new kindergartener. Did I teach him enough? Will he make friends? Will he be able to open those little packages of crackers I left in his lunch? Who’s going to wipe his tears and give him a band-aid and a hug when he scrapes his knees? I know, totally crazy right?
So as I was laying there, silently crying thinking about my sweet little man going off to school the next day, my little 4 year old comes in and says “Mom, can I sleep with you? I’m scared.” Well, blessed be! It was like an answer to prayer. Of course I let him snuggle next to me all night and I loved every second of it! (except when he was kicking me a few hours later, lol!) I’m so lucky to have these kids and I thank my lucky stars they’re mine.
Okay, enough sappy back to school talk, let’s talk potatoes.
Do any of you remember Denise Austin aka fitness guru?? SO random but when I think of potatoes, I think of this funny commercial she did about how low in calories & fat potatoes were and what a great meal it can make.
Confession: Denise Austin was my jam when I was getting back into pre-baby shape after my first two babies. I. LOVED. HER. I owned 25 of her video cassettes (OMG this totally ages me!) and I did them religiously. So yeah, she was like my fitness idol. 😉
So when I saw that commercial I was like “Heck yeah! Potatoes every day all day!” But, ahem… my favorite kind of potatoes are like bathed in butter, sour cream, chives, cheese and more cheese. So probably not the world’s best meal to be eating.
But I’m not giving up on you Denise! I made some healthy twice baked potatoes that would have you dancing your way to the kitchen. For reals!
They even have cottage cheese in them, which you can’t even taste. Seriously these are a WINNER. The recipe makes 8 halves and my husband, two older boys and myself knocked them out in one sitting. If you like twice baked potatoes but want to keep it healthy, you’ve got to try these healthy twice baked potatoes!
- 4 russet potatoes
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 5.3 oz container fat free plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup fat free milk or more as needed
- 1/4 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 2/3 cup shredded cheese divided
- 3 green onions chopped
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Wash potatoes and prick with a fork all over. Bake for about an hour, until fork goes in easily. Let sit to cool.
- Reduce heat on oven to 350ºF.
- When cool enough to handle, halve each potato and scoop out insides into a mixing bowl.
- Add in the salt, pepper, Greek yogurt, milk and cottage cheese to the potato and mix using a hand mixer. Add more milk if potato mixture seems dry.
- Stir in 1/3 cup cheese and green onions. Fill empty potato shells evenly with potato mixture. I like to use a cookie scoop to make it look pretty!
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until mixture is warmed all the way through. (If you let potatoes cool to room temperature before scooping out the insides, this might take a bit longer).
- Top with remaining 1/3 cup cheese and bake for 5 more minutes, or until cheese melts. Serve and enjoy!
Other yummy potato side dishes you might like:
Baked Potato Wedges with Fry Sauce
Other healthy twice baked potatoes recipes from friends:
- Broccoli, Cheddar, Chicken Twice Baked Potatoes by Recipe Runner
- Light BBQ Chicken Twice Baked Potatoes by The Creative Bite
- Veggie Twice Baked Potatoes by Caty’s Corner
chantelle hazelden says
nom nom nom, I’m always on the look out for healthier dinner alternatives, these are simple yet look very scrummy x
Heck yeah! Potatoes all day everyday! 😉
Erin @ Simple, Sweet & Savory says
I love twice-baked potatoes, but I am trying to watch my Weight Watchers points. These look so creamy and delicious—I love that this is a lightened up version. Pinning!
Sandra @ A Dash of Sanity says
I’m a huge potato gal, so of course I need to give these a try! They look so good! I am super excited to see you at the pork event! Can’t wait!! 🙂
Pinning, Yumming and Stumbling this!
Andi @ The Weary Chef says
I’m sorry the night before school was an emotional one for you, but I hope you will all be happy about K once you get used to it. I love, love this recipe. I’m all about healthy potatoes! (Oh, and I STILL love Denise Austin!!)
Jen – THESE LOOK AMAZING! I was just thinking about twice baked potatoes and wanted to make them a little healthier. I always grew up using tons of sour cream and we rarely had them due to the calorie count. I LOVE the idea of geek yogurt and cottage cheese – GENIUS! Can’t wait to try them!
Thank you Brook!! You’re so sweet! xoxo!
Kalee @ The Crowded Table says
Awww its so hard leaving them for their first day! I know I cried many times for my little guy’s first week at preschool. My kids LOVE twice baked potatoes, but I never thought of trying to make them healthier. I love the substitutions you made with greek yogurt and cottage cheese. I’ll be trying these soon!
Nettie Moore says
These look amazing! II need to make them! Nettie