Crusted pecan chicken breasts cooked in a skillet, then topped with an apple cream sauce. Unique, unbelievably delicious & so easy!
Happy Monday! If you follow me on Instagram, then you saw this teaser pic a few days ago for the amazing recipe I’m sharing today. Today is another Mystery Dish day!
Meriem from the beautiful Culinary Couture blog, is this month’s host. She picked some wonderful ingredients and we had to use three of them:
This dish actually uses FOUR of the Mystery Dish ingredients – go me! Chicken, butter, pecans and heavy cream. Probably not the healthiest of meals I’ve made, but one of the best!
This recipe is adapted from one of my Aunt Cathy’s, who is an amazing chef. I’ve changed it a bit to use ingredients I usually have on hand. I’ve made this dish for my family several times now and it’s just a no-fail dinner that everyone loves.
The chicken is moist and flavorful. The crust on it is divine. It’s a great chicken breast recipe all by itself. Add in the apple cream sauce and – wow. It just boosts the flavor profile way up there. Thinking about it now has me salivating!
This chicken really is delicious and is such a quick meal to whip up any night of the week. You can make this as a quick weeknight meal or for an impressive dinner in with your hot date. 😉 Either way, every one will love this!
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. chopped green onions or shallot
- 1/2 c. water
- 3/4 cup apple juice
- 1 cup half pint container heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup pecans
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- For sauce: Melt butter and olive oil in medium saucepan over low heat. Add onions or shallot and stir until softened. Add apple juice and water.
- Increase heat to high and boil until reduced to about 1/2 cup. Reduce heat to medium. Add the cream. Cook about 5 minutes (careful not to boil the cream over).
- Add the salt, pepper honey and vinegar. Heat for a few more minutes, or until thickened a bit more. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, blend together flour, pecans, thyme, salt and pepper in a food processor. Dump pecan mixture onto a large plate. Pour milk into a medium sized bowl.
- In a large skillet, heat butter and oil over medium heat. Dip each chicken breast one at a time into the milk and then the pecan mixture. Pat to help adhere to the chicken.
- Cook chicken in prepared skillet, turning once until golden brown on both sides. Serve with apple cream sauce. Enjoy!
2. Old Fashioned Corn Pudding by The Weary Chef
3. Raspberry Peach Cobbler with Oatmeal Pecan Crumble by Joyful Healthy Eats
4. Peach Raspberry Galette by Blahnik Baker
5. Pecan Crusted Chicken with Apple Cream Sauce by Yummy Healthy Easy
6. Sweet Corn Soup with Peaches by The Pajama Chef
7. Dutch Peach Pie Bars by I Dig Pinterest
8. Toasted Pecan Pancakes with Brown Butter Bourbon Peach Syrup by Baking A Moment
9. Brown Sugar Pound Cake with Butter Rum Pecan Glaze by The Well Floured Kitchen
10. Peach Pecan Cinnamon Roll Cake by Chez Catey Lou
11. Peach Frozen Yogurt with Pecan Graham Cracker Crumble by Culinary Couture
Melanie @ Carmel Moments says
Oh yum! Looks a dinner the whole family would inhale.
Have a marvelous week!
sarah k @ the pajama chef says
mmm, i make an apple cream chicken that is delicious so i’m sure we’d love your version too!
[email protected] Well Floured Kitchen says
Love the idea of an apple cream sauce, and way to go with 4 ingredients 🙂 Looks delicious!
Cindy @ Pick Fresh Foods says
Jen, this chicken looks delicious! I am loving that cream sauce. Everything is always a little better with a yummy sauce.
Yes! Cream sauce makes everything better! 😉 Thanks Cindy!!
Kathleen R. says
I love pecan crusted chicken- sounds even better with apple cream sauce!
Julie @ Julie's Eats & Treats says
Mmmm love these family dishes that get passed down! I can see why it did 🙂 Looks amazing lady!
Wow! That sounds so amazing!
Tanya Schroeder says
You did a great job with the list of ingredients! That apple cream sauce is such a great idea! Hot dates are sort of thing of the past, but I always need quick dinner ideas for the family!
[email protected] says
OH does this sound delicious, Jen! I love the unique combination of flavors….definitely something to try!
Just made this tonight for dinner tomorrow. It looks and smells wonderful! For me, the sauce did not thicken enough so I used a little cornstarch with apple juice to thicken it a bit more. I also took the apple theme a little further and added diced apples to the cream sauce and added some shredded sweetened coconut to the flour pecan mixture. Can’t wait for dinner tomorrow!!!
Bummer the sauce didn’t thicken up but I love what you did with the dish! Thanks for the comment!
I’m making this paleo by not adding regular flour. Instead, I just used pecan meal I bought already ground into a flour and just using the whole amount of that (used around 1 cup ground). Cooking this now 🙂
Oh, great idea! Did it turn out yummy?
Yet another excellent rating! I had to use orange juice but feel the hint of orange worked well. I used 1 package of chicken tenderloins (2.5 lbs) and doubled the sauce, but made it in 2 batches, one with no hot pepper for the kids and one with 1 full teaspoon pepper flakes for the adults (we like spicy food). I also thickened with corn starch as suggested by others. And I added sauteed onions and bell peppers to the adult version. Husband and I both loved it and 3 of 4 kids as well. The fourth said it was “not as bad as I thought, but not to my taste.” It was a bit salty, but probably from having the much higher sauce-to-chicken ratio–if doubling the sauce recipe, you might want to cut back on the soy sauce.
Glad you liked it! Thanks for your comment.
Stacy McCraw Stanton says
So good! I didn’t change a thing!
This is my second time making this!! The first time I made it with the onions, it still tasted good but I’m just not a fan of onions. Last night I made it without onions and it was amazing! Everyone loved the chicken!