I don’t know if I should apologize for the amount of sweets and goodies on my blog lately, or if I should be saying you’re welcome! 😉 Things on here lately haven’t been very healthy but that’s okay since it is the holiday season. And in my head, that means lots of yummy treats!
I remember baking with my mom during Christmastime. I have fond memories of making sugar cookies with her and decorating them. We always handed out plates of cookies to friends and neighbors. Now as a mom, I love doing the same thing with my kids.
Red Velvet Peppermint Thumbprint Cookies
- 1-1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp. liquid red food coloring
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. white vinegar
- Candy Cane Hershey's Kisses
- Preheat oven to 325º. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, combine oil, brown sugar and white sugar and mix until smooth. Add eggs and mix until creamy. Mix in red food coloring, vanilla and vinegar. Add flour mixture until completely combined.
- Using small cookie scoop, scoop dough into about 1" balls. Roll in your hands and place on cookie sheet; 12 cookies per sheet.
- Bake for about 12 minutes in preheated oven, or until edges are set. Remove from oven and press Hershey's Kiss candy into the middle of each cookie. Let rest for one minute and then gently tap the cookie sheet on counter to make the Kiss drop into a thumbprint. Alternately, if you'd like the Kiss intact, don't tap the cookie sheet. They both look cute! Move to cooling rack and enjoy!