A layer of peanut butter Rice Kripsie treats topped with a layer of dark chocolate, hazelnuts and a little bit of sea salt. These scotcheroos will knock your socks off!
How was your Thanksgiving? I was supposed to drive with my family over to Arizona but ended up not going. We would have had to rent a car (since mine is a piecer and my husband’s doesn’t fit everyone in my family – time for a new bigger car!) and it was SO expensive to rent one! Plus, I’ve been having problems with my stomach.
I was diagnosed with an ulcer about three months ago, after going to urgent care with stomach pain. It seemed to get better with the omeprazole they prescribed. But this last weekend, it got really bad. I ended up in urgent care and then scored a last minute appointment with a GI specialist, thank goodness. He scheduled an endoscopy next Tuesday, which to be honest, I’m terrified of.
I am NOT one to visit the doctor. In fact, I don’t even have a primary care doctor. I’m usually always healthy and I most definitely have never needed surgery of any kind. It scares me that I’ll be under for the procedure! Any advice, tips, or experiences you have would be appreciated! Oh, and also a quick prayer for me, too if possible. I’m hoping the whole thing is easy and that there’s nothing wrong in my stomach that requires surgery or anything.
But enough about stomach stuff, let’s talk food! It’s Mystery Dish time today and I’m excited to share this recipe with you! It’s not very healthy (sorry) but it was really hard to think of anything healthy with a delicious list like this from Rebecca of Living Better Together:
Hazelnuts, Pork Belly, Dark Chocolate, Cranberries, Bourbon, Red Potatoes, Pimento Cheese, Ginger, Yogurt, French Bread, Buckwheat & Rice Krispies.
Great list, eh? I knew I wanted to make something with Rice Krispies and decided to pull the dark chocolate and hazelnuts into it, too, using 3 of the list ingredients. The idea of scotcheroos sort of randomly came to me and boy, am I glad. These are seriously so amazing.
They’re decadent but light with a crispiness from the Rice Krispies. But also a softness from the dark chocolate. I love the crunchy topping of hazelnuts and a tiny bit of sea salt to balance it out.
I took these pictures right after I spread the chocolate on, so it’s all gooey and delicious. But feel free to put in the fridge for a few minutes to harden the chocolate up and get clean lines when you cut them (and less chocolate on the fingers and hands if you’re serving them) 😉
Anyone else have random little people that eat your props while you’re trying to take pictures?! Lol! I ALWAYS do! Little prop stealers!
- ¼ cup Truvia (or ½ cup granulated sugar)
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- ½ cup smooth peanut butter
- 3 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- ¼ cup chopped hazelnuts
- sea salt
- Spray an 8x8" dish with cooking spray, set aside.
- Combine Truvia (or sugar) and corn syrup in a large saucepan. Bring to a brief boil and remove from heat. (The longer you boil, the harder your Rice Krispie treat layer will be, so don't boil for long!)
- Stir in peanut butter. Add in Rice Krispies, stir until well mixed.
- Pour into prepared dish and press into pan.
- In a small saucepan or using the microwave, melt the chocolate chips until creamy. Pour over Rice Krispie layer and smooth out into an even layer.
- Sprinkle tops with hazelnuts and a little bit of sea salt. Either place in fridge and let harden before cutting into bars, or cut immediately for a more messy treat. 🙂 Enjoy!
Check out what my Mystery Dish Friends made this month:
- Gluten Free Chocolate Bourbon Hazelnut Cake from Living Better Together
- Turtle Krispies Treats from I Dig Pinterest
- Dark Chocolate Greek Yogurt Cookies from The Pajama Chef
- Chewy Chocolate Hazelnut Granola Bars from I Want Crazy
- Dark Chocolate Hazelnut English Toffee from Flavor the Moments
- Dark Chocolate Hazelnut Cranberry Buttercrunch from Inspiration Kitchen
- Skinny Dark Chocolate Pomegranate Hazelnut Fudge from Joyful Healthy Eats
- Cranberry Hazelnut Crepe Cake from Blahnik Baker
- Dark Chocolate Gingerbread Rice Krispie Treats from The Smart Cookie Cook
- Mini Eggnog Cheesecakes with Hazelnut Cookie Crust from The Well Floured Kitchen