Easy Skinny Chicken and Rice Casserole using NO cream soups and made in about 30 minutes! Put this on your dinner menu – you will love this easy meal!
Last Thursday, my three year old little man Tate turned FOUR!! That means, for almost one month, I’ll have not one, but TWO 4-year olds. Crazy!
Having “Irish twins” is a bit normal to me now, but sometimes when I really stop and think about it, I can’t even believe it! It seems so weird that I have two boys that close in age. I had an 11-month old at home when I went into the hospital and gave birth to another infant. Isn’t that nuts?!
At the time I found out about the pregnancy, I was devastated. Crushed. We had just moved to a small (but darling) two bedroom condo. Meaning, you guessed it, three boys squeezed into one room. No room for 4! My husband had just started a new job and was extremely stressed. I was having a hard time transitioning from two totally independent kids, to three. We were having car problems and were down to one at the time. I was driving to and from downtown to drop off and pick up my husband with kids in tow or he was stuck taking the bus for hours every day. And money was tight since we had just finished graduate school and were starting to pay back our student loans.
Things were NOT easy.
Then to find out that I was pregnant so soon after our third, was a sure test of my marriage, my relationship with my kids and my faith. But I know Heavenly Father only gives us things that we can handle. And as hard as it was to do the baby thing all over again so quickly and under those less than stellar circumstances, I did it.
And I wouldn’t change it for ANYTHING.
My sweet little Tate is an absolute joy. I love love love him. And I absolutely love having two boys that are so close in age. They are truly best friends. So even though his Birthday has passed, I wanted to make sure I gave him a little shout out to celebrate his fun day! We had a blast at Chuck E. Cheese’s. 🙂
And also to celebrate, I wanted to share a family favorite dinner – Skinny Chicken and Rice Casserole. This casserole is the bomb.com! It has NO cream soups, is so easy to throw together in 30 minutes, and tastes amazing! It’s one of those dishes my kids ask me to make. And it can save you in a pinch if you’ve run out of grocery money for the week and have no clue what to throw together. It’s saved me many a times, lol! Enjoy!
Skinny Chicken and Rice Casserole
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4-5 green onions diced
- 1 14-oz pkg. sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups cooked boneless skinless chicken, cubed
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 1/2 cups cooked brown rice I used instant
- 1 5.3-oz fat free plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray a 2 quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In a skillet, heat oil. Add green onions and mushrooms. Cook until tender.
- Add chicken. Sprinkle with flour. Cook for one minute, stirring constantly. Stir in milk, bring to a boil and cook for 3 minutes, or until thick and bubbly.
- Add brown rice. Fold in Greek yogurt, mayo and salt and pepper. Pour into prepared casserole dish.
- Top with cheese and bake for 20 minutes, or until cheese melts and it's bubbly around the edges.