How was your weekend? Mine was so wonderful! My husband is such a sweetheart. He told me on Friday night that my day off started Saturday at 10am. He had scheduled me to go to a salon to get my nails done, a spray tan and anything else I wanted. Meanwhile, he dealt with the boys and drove them to their games and things. I felt sort of bad that he had to deal with everything but then I didn’t. 🙂 I totally enjoyed it!
Then he took me out to dinner and a movie, which was so much fun. It was really nice to get a break from the rigorous weekend schedule. I feel like Saturdays are way busier than any day of the week (although Tuesdays seems to be really bad for me).
Sometimes I want to just want to crawl into a hole and hide away from the pure craziness that it is to have kids. Being a mom is hard work. It’s nice to have Mother’s Day so the husbands and kids will appreciate all us hard-working moms do. It’s a tough job, but I wouldn’t want to be doing anything else. I love my boys so much and am grateful to be their mom.
Speaking of boys, mine love Sloppy Joes. I saw a recipe for lentil Sloppy Joes on Pinterest and thought that was such a great idea. So I brainstormed a bit and decided that I wanted to create a recipe that was easy, healthy and had lots of protein so I thought, why not mix together a lentil and turkey Sloppy Joe and cook it right in the crock pot? This is the outcome!
These are really delicious and nutritious. Plus anything cooked in the crock pot is my favorite! My boys loved these. They ate their sandwiches with a slice of cheese on top and I actually enjoyed the lentils in a bowl minus the bun. I put a little salsa on top of mine and they were so yummy (and gluten-free!).
Lentils have tons of fiber, protein and vitamins. They’re a great way to fill you up quicker without adding in extra calories. Combine the lean ground turkey, and you have a super healthy clean-eating dinner that the whole family will love!
Slow Cooker Turkey & Lentil Sloppy Joe's
- 2 cups green lentils
- 4 cups water
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey cooked and drained
- 1 15-oz can tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp. worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. pepper more to taste, if needed
- 1/2 tsp. salt more to taste, if needed
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- buns or rolls for serving
- In a large crock pot, combine lentils, water, green pepper, onion and garlic. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or until tender.
- Brown ground turkey and drain. When lentils are tender, add in cooked ground turkey, tomato sauce, worcestershire, chili powder, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Cover and cook for 3-4 hours on high or until liquid is absorbed, and lentils and turkey are tender and flavorful.
- Serve on buns or rolls with a piece of cheese on top, if desired. Or enjoy sans buns in a bowl for a gluten free dinner. Either way they're delicious! Enjoy!