I love my crock pot! Like, mildly obsessed. I have four boys, two of which are in football and have practice EVERY. SINGLE. NIGHT. Well, until school starts at least - which is next week, yay!! I bet you're thinking "Oh, those poor boys!" But you really should be thinking, "Oh you poor mom!" :) I end up shuttling those boys around to and from practices all while dealing with my two toddler boys who are only a scarce 11 MONTHS APART! (Can you tell I'm feeling the caps lock today, ha!)
Anywho, my evenings are crazy and it's so nice to be able to throw some ingredients into my trusty crock pot in the morning and let it cook. Then I can happily pick up my boys from practice at night, force them to shower, and then we can all sit down together and have a home-cooked meal that I didn't slave over the stove for! Doesn't that sound nice?!
For reals, you will love this soup! It's one of those super basic & versatile recipes but the flavors are amazing. It's so easy and tastes like a million bucks!
POT CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP: (recipe adapted from Allrecipes)
Printable Version HERE
- 4 uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (15 oz) can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (10 oz) can red enchilada sauce
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (4 oz) can chopped green chile peppers
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 package frozen corn (about 14 oz)
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- corn tortillas
- cooking spray
1. Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, black beans, onion, green chiles, corn and garlic into your crock pot. Pour in chicken broth, and season with cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Cover, and cook on Low setting for 6 to 8 hours or on High setting for 3 to 4 hours.
2. When fully cooked, pull chicken out and shred. Place back inside crock pot.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray both sides of tortillas with cooking spray. Cut tortillas into strips using a pizza cutter, then spread on a baking sheet. Sprinkle some Lawry's seasoning salt or just plain salt and pepper if desired.
4. Bake in preheated oven until crisp, about 10 to 15 minutes. To serve soup, top with cheese, avocado, green onions or any other add-in you like and then sprinkle tortilla strips on top. ENJOY!!
LINKING THIS RECIPE TO THESE FUN PARTIES:
Spotlight Saturday, Tuesday Talent Show, Tips & Tricks, Cast Party Wednesday, Uncommonly Yours, Lil Luna Link Party, Sweet Treats & Swanky Stuff, Hookin Up with HoH, Tastetastic Thursday, Show Off Your Stuff, Tasty Thursdays, Full Plate Thursdays, Friday Fun Party, Flaunt it Friday, Fantabulous Friday, Frugal Friday, Foodie Friday, Fantastic Thursday, Tickled Pink at 504Main, Friday Flair, Shine on Fridays, Weekend Wonders, Strut Your Stuff Saturday, Weekend Wrap-Up, Tasty Tuesday, Totally Tasty Tuesday,