You guys ready for the ultimate comfort food dish?
I introduce you to... Penne Arrabiata. Sounds like a fancy name, no? Like a restaurant dish or something. Don't be fooled! This is an easy dish you can whip up for dinner in no time - that your family will love!
The name actually means "angry pasta" because of the use of chili peppers in the sauce. Get it? Angry?! ;) I made this version a little less spicy because of my wee ones, but feel free to add some more red pepper flakes to make it spicier!Easy Penne Arrabiata: (Recipe adapted from Allrecipes)
Printable Recipe HERE
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 (28-oz) can petite diced tomatoes, italian style
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 bunch fresh basil, chopped
- 1 (12-oz) package penne pasta (I used a healthier lower carb kind)
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups italian style bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 pound thin chicken breast cutlets or tenderloins
- Heat 1/4 cup of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic, and saute for a few minutes. Sprinkle in the red pepper flakes, and saute for another minute. Pour in the diced tomatoes and tomato sauce, and add the basil. Simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add penne pasta, and cook for 8 minutes, or until tender. Drain.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs with a fork. Place bread crumbs in a separate bowl. Stir the garlic powder, salt and pepper into the bread crumbs. Dip chicken cutlets into the egg, then press into the bread crumbs until completely coated.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry chicken for about 5 minutes per side, or until the coating is a nice dark brown color.
- Remove chicken, and cut into slices. Toss the chicken slices into the sauce, and simmer for about 10 minutes. Stir in the cooked penne, simmer for a few more minutes to soak up the flavor, then serve. ENJOY!!
If you're looking for some more delicious dinner ideas, check these out:
Click HERE to print this recipe.
If you liked this recipe, PIN it!
It would be wonderful if you followed me (via GFC) on the right hand side-->
LINKING THIS RECIPE TO THESE FUN PARTIES:
Tuesday Talent Show, Totally Tasty Tuesdays, Tasty Tuesdays, Trick or Treat Tuesday, Cast Party Wednesday, Work it Wednesday, Tasty Thursday, Showcase your Talent Thursday, Show Off Your Stuff Party, Full Plate Thursday, Friday Link Party, Weekend Wonders, Fantabulous Friday, Foodie Friday, Strut Your Stuff Saturday, Spotlight Saturday,