I hate to admit it, but I’m a breakfast skipper. Mornings are hectic and busy around my house and sometimes I just forget to eat.
Studies show that when you do eat a healthy breakfast, your body and brain are recharged, making you more efficient through the morning and afternoon. It’s also been proven that breakfast skippers tend to eat lots more at the next meal, making it harder to lose weight and easier to gain weight. No thanks!
One of my New Year’s resolutions is to maintain a healthy diet of fruits and vegetables. If you have a similar New Year’s goal and tend to be a breakfast skipper, I have the perfect recipe for you!
Oatmeal! Oats are awesome. They’re a whole grain that’s full of fiber and can lower your cholesterol. Oatmeal by itself is actually quite bland. It’s hard to talk my family into eating it.
But when I add in some other healthy ingredients like Del Monte® peaches with pecans, honey and cinnamon, my family comes running.
What’s even better is that it’s cooked right in your crock pot! All you have to do is mix the few ingredients together in a mixing bowl and pour it into your slow cooker. A few hours later, you have a healthy, filling, delicious breakfast.
You can eat one serving for breakfast and refrigerate the rest so you have oatmeal for the rest of the week. Just pull it out of the fridge and quickly reheat in the microwave. Or you can be nice and share it with your family. This breakfast is a winner at our house!
You know what else is a winner? Del Monte canned goods. Every single canned fruit and vegetable I buy is Del Monte brand. Plain and simple, they just taste better. 90% of their fruits and vegetables are grown in the United States. The peaches I used in this oatmeal were from right here in my state of California!
The majority of fruits and veggies are canned right away when they’re ripe and because of this, the flavor is locked in as well as the vitamins, minerals and essential nutrients. This means better tasting and healthier fruit and veggies for you and your family.
This also means buying Del Monte canned goods makes keeping your New Year’s resolutions easier. If you have a pantry stocked with Del Monte, you have a garden right at your fingertips! Eating healthy was never as easy and delicious as it is now.
Start the New Year right and add some garden quality goodness to your table for delicious & nutritious meals your whole family will enjoy.
Slow Cooker Peach Oatmeal
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup dry old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup diced Del Monte® Sliced Yellow Cling Peaches in Light Syrup
- 2 Tbsp. light brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. light butter spread
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, lightly mix all the ingredients together.
- Spray the slow cooker with cooking spray. Pour oatmeal mixture into slow cooker and place lid on top. Set for low 4 hours. Note: the cooking time really depends on your slow cooker! I’ve made this oatmeal several times and have put it on all different cook times. I’ve made it on low for 8 hours – right before I went to bed and eaten it as soon as I got up. I’ve made it on high for 2 hours and it’s been cooked perfectly! The key is to know your slow cooker and watch it to see if it’s done. The oats will be soft when finished.
- To serve, pour milk over the top. It’s delicious!