Happy Monday! I was just telling my husband how much I love Mondays. He looked at me like I was a psychopath and told me he hates Mondays, lol!
I think my favorite thing is that my boys don't have football practice on Mondays, so I'm not driving them back and forth like I am on the other days of the week. Although, if you follow me on Instagram, you probably saw that my oldest (almost 13 year old) broke his elbow in his football game this Saturday.
Yeah, that was crappy. He had a touchdown in the second quarter and then had a 20 yard run to the 1 yard line. Basically, he was doing really well. Playing both offense and defense. Then he went to dive into a player on the other team and landed weird on his arm, hard on his elbow. The medic rushed over and helped him off the field.
Side note: it's really freaking hard to see your kid in pain.
I met him at half time and talked to him for a minute. He was so tough and told me that he was fine and would be playing the second half. It made me feel a little better but the mom in me knew something wasn't right.
He ended up taking his helmet off and staying off the field for the rest of the game, with his arm taped up. Right after the game, I took him immediately to the urgent care where we got some xrays and it was confirmed that he broke his elbow. I'm calling the orthopedic surgeon first thing today to get him in. Please cross your fingers and toes that he won't need surgery!
I'm so proud of him and how tough he is. He has dealt with this whole thing like a champ. I can't say that I'm bummed to not take him to his daily practices. :)
Although, I still have my 10-year old's football practices to drive to, so of course, quick meals are still a must. One of my favorite dinners to make the boys (and their most requested) is teriyaki chicken. If I can make anything in the crock pot, I will. So I adapted my Chicken Teriyaki Bowls to work in the crock pot and BAM. Crock Pot Chicken Teriyaki.
Best. Dinner. Ever. SO easy and unbelievably tasty. It's a dinner the family will request over and over again! Winner, winner chicken dinner!
- 5-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup sugar (or ½ cup truvia baking blend)
- 1 cup lite soy sauce
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced or put through a garlic press
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp. cold water
- steamed rice, for serving
- sesame seeds, optional, for serving
- Place chicken in the bottom of a slow cooker. In a bowl, combine sugar (or Truvia), soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, ginger and pepper. Pour over chicken in slow cooker and cover with lid. Cook on low 8 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Take chicken out and set aside. Mix together cornstarch and water in a small bowl with a whisk. Pour into the sauce and stir together. Turn crock pot on high. Let thicken for about 30 minutes.
- Shred chicken and place back in with sauce. Let heat through and then serve over rice. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and enjoy!