Baked mozzarella sticks for the win! You can’t go wrong with warm, gooey cheese dipped in marinara sauce, am I right?!
Is it Friday yet?! OMG this week has been so hard. We’ve had a nasty strain of cold going through our house. My ten-year old and myself are the last two standing that haven’t gotten it. Yet. :/
I took my two younger guys to the grocery store the other day and my youngest sat in the grocery cart seat the entire hour long (if you know him at all, this NEVER happens) and laid his head down and complained about his ear hurting. He’s not a complainer so I knew he had something serious going on.
I actually took him into the urgent care that night but they turned me away because they were short a doctor and the wait would be crazy long (aren’t they always crazy long at urgent cares anyway?!) So I gave him Tylenol and he was better that night. He woke up once in the middle of the night and I gave him medicine then too. I brought him to the pediatrician first thing the next day and found out he had a really bad double ear infection. Poor kid!
That same night, I was helping my ten year old do some experimenting for his science project (alka seltzer and water, anyone?) while trying to cook dinner at the same time. Always the multi-tasker! My two younger guys were playing on my couches in the living room, jumping from couch to coffee table to couch, when I hear a thud and my youngest son crying – never a good thing to hear.
As a mom, you learn the different cries each kid makes. They have a whiny cry, a sad cry, and a hurt cry among others. This cry, was a “I’m really hurt” cry. So I rushed over and sure enough, the HUGEST bump over his eye I’ve ever seen! It grew three sizes in a matter of seconds!
If you follow me on Instagram, you know exactly what I’m talking about! I quickly took a picture and sent it to my brother who’s a doctor and he told me to ice it and keep an eye on it. Poor guy with a double ear infection and a huge bump on his eye. Luckily it didn’t break the skin or he would’ve needed stitches!
Do you know what helped me get through that night? These Baked Mozzarella Sticks. Nothing better than a warm, gooey stick of lightly bread cheese dipped in marinara sauce to get you through a rough day. Or in my case, a rough week.
These are also great to serve when you have people over for a quick get together, since they take very little time to prepare. They’re also perfect as a little appetizer for your love fest this weekend if you happen to be cooking for your special someone this Valentine’s. (wink, wink!). Enjoy!
- 3/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 egg
- 12 light string cheese sticks cut in half
- marinara or pizza sauce for dipping
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat egg with a whisk until light and fluffy.
- In another medium sized bowl, combine breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and pepper and stir together.
- Cut each light string cheese in half. Dip cheese first in egg, then roll in breadcrumb mixture. Place on parchment covered baking sheet. Repeat until all cheese sticks are covered.
- Bake in preheated oven for 5-8 minutes, or until cheese is soft and warm.
- Serve right away with warmed marinara sauce. Enjoy!!
If you liked this recipe, you’ll love these too: