An easy baked Chile Relleno Casserole that will have your whole family swooning! It comes out of the oven fluffy and full of green chilies and cheesy goodness.
I’ve been married to my husband for 12 years now and we’ve moved ELEVEN times!! We just made our 11th move about 6 months ago into a great new area (maybe no more moving for us, I hope!). One of the first things I like to do when I move, is to find where my closest grocery store is. And then find the nearest Mexican food restaurant. 🙂
Lucky for me, we have one less than a mile away from our house and it’s pretty dang good. Sometimes there’s a long wait to get a table which drives me crazy. But they have some of the yummiest chile rellenos ever.
Chile rellenos are one of my favorite Mexican food dishes. There’s just something about that eggy outside layer with a fresh green chili that’s bursting full of cheese that I can’t resist. Do you like chile rellenos too?
If you do, you will LOVE this easy spin on the chile relleno dish! It’s like putting several chile rellenos together into one pan and coating them all with that yummy egg topping, baking and then cutting the whole thing into slices for your family. It’s seriously so delish and will keep you from having to wait for a table at a Mexican food restaurant.
It’s a super easy process that yields a big casserole you can feed for your whole family. All you need to do is get some canned whole green chilies, fill them with some Monterey Jack cheese, place in casserole dish and pour an easy egg & flour mixture over the top of it all then bake.
When you pull it from the oven, you’ll see this beautiful puffy egg top with the green chilies peeking through. When you cut into it, you’ll see the cheesy goodness ooze out from the chilies. Probably not the healthiest of dinners, but boy is it GOOD! And inexpensive too. If you’re on a budget and trying to feed a big family, this is a great dish to add to your weekly menu!
- 2 (10-oz) cans whole green chilies
- 6-oz Monterey Jack cheese, cut into strips
- 8 eggs
- ⅔ cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1½ cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray a 9x13" dish with cookng spray, set aside.
- Drain cans of green chilies. Take a strip of cheese and insert it into each chili. Place in prepared baking dish.
- When all chilies have been filled with cheese and are inside the baking dish, mix together eggs, milk, flour and baking powder in a mixing bowl. Beat with a whisk until thoroughly combined and smooth.
- Pour egg mixture over chilies and then top with cheese.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes, until the egg is puffy and the cheese is bubbly. Slice into squares and serve. Enjoy!
Want some other casserole ideas? Try these too: