I got in a really bad habit of not eating breakfast (or eating something really small) and then hitting the gym to work out. About mid-morning after my workout, I’m literally devouring my kids’ snacks – mostly goldfish crackers. #fail I found that if I would eat within thirty minutes of waking up, I wouldn’t be hungry and overeat later. I also would feel better during my workout. The same thing goes for eating healthy snacks in the afternoon. If I ate a healthy snack at about 3pm, I would eat a smaller portion for dinner and wouldn’t go crazy raiding the pantry.
These little zucchini muffins are the perfect healthy breakfast or snack! They’re made with white whole wheat flour, Truvia sweetener instead of sugar, and coconut oil. Plus they have bananas and zucchini to make them even healthier, moist and flavorful. The best thing about these muffins is that you can finally use up those brown bananas that are sitting on your kitchen counter!
After I make a batch, I keep them in a large airtight bag or container on the counter then will divide whatever hasn’t been scarfed down by the next day, into two containers. One container goes in the fridge and the other in the freezer. Give them a quick zap in the microwave when you’re looking for a healthy treat or eat them straight from the fridge.
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 ripe bananas mashed
- 1 zucchini shredded
- 2 Tbsp. Truvia sweetener or 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil can replace with butter, if desired
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. white whole wheat flour
- 1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. melted coconut oil can replace with butter, if desired
- Preheat oven to 375º F. Spray a 24-cup mini muffin tin with cooking spray or line with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine mashed bananas and shredded zucchini. Beat in egg, Truvia (or sugar) and 1/2 cup melted coconut oil.
- Stir the flour mixture into the banana-zucchini mixture. Don't overmix! Spoon batter into mini muffin tins.
- In a small bowl, melt 1 Tbsp. coconut oil. Stir in 2 Tbsp. flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle crumb mixture over the tops of each muffin.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until tops spring back when pressed. Let cool on wire rack and then pop out and enjoy! (I like to put them on the counter in an airtight container for one day and then split up what's left, putting half in the fridge and the other half in the freezer for later.)
Tried this Recipe? Pin it for Later!Mention @JenNikolaus or tag #YummyHealthyEasy!
*This post was originally published at Dessert Now, Dinner Later on January 9th*
If you liked this muffin recipe, you’ll love these:
Andi @ The Weary Chef says
Love these cutie, healthy muffins, Jen! Sharing them all over the place 😉
Thanks Andi!! You’re the bestest!!
Yumm, these look good 😀 Pinning so I can make them soon!
YAY! Thanks for the pin, Stephanie!!
I always love a nice, healthy muffin, and this flavor combination sounds delicious! 🙂
Yummy! I used to not eat breakfast, but drink it in coffee form. Since I’ve been losing weight, I had to switch to eating breakfast with one cup of coffee. I love muffins for breakfast! Thanks for the recipe!!
Thank YOU for stopping by, Crystal!! I hope you try these! I have to eat breakfast or I have major issues later in the day!
Nancy [email protected] says
I love zucchini muffins! Never thought to add bananas to them! Sounds delicious!
Mary Frances says
How could you go wrong with zucchinis, coconut oil, and bananas? I love all muffins, no matter what, but these go above and beyond with that crumb topping. Pinned!
Anna (Hidden Ponies) says
I love muffins, and this way I can eat a whole handful! Love these – pinned!
These look fantastic! I bet they are super moist. I have to give them a try! Totally guilty of skipping breakfast lately!
Julie @ Julie's Eats & Treats says
Ahhh I’m such a horrible person for snacking all the time! These would be perfect to grab to tie me over until the next meal!!
[email protected] says
I totally can’t work out on an empty stomach…even though I’ve heard that’s the best way to go! These muffins look like the perfect pre or post-workout snack!
These look fantastic and I can’t wait to try them. My question is we have all sizes of Zucchini approx what would be the measurement of the shredded zuc?
Hi Josi! Good question, it’s about 3/4 cup of zucchini. Let me know how you like the muffins!
Thank you! I was just getting ready to make a batch and wondering that as well. My zucchini is well over 3 feet long… figured that might be over doing it! 😉
Trang A says
My son is gluten free. Can I replace wheat flour to gluten all purpose flour?
Absolutely!! Let me know how you like them!